We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 9
Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

We want to drive from Austin, TX though Nuevo Loredo, Monterrey and Durango. Getting conflicting reports on whether the Durango-Mazatlan stretch is open.

Does anyone know/ driven it?

Thanks so much! Leah

41 replies to this topic
Sudbury, ON
reviews: 21
1. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

Flying home from Mazatlan on March 16 - looking down from the plane I could see a new divided highway that suddenly stops just north of Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay

California
2. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

The divided highway north of the Harbor that is partially built is not connected to, nor has any relationship to the Mazatlan - Durango highway. Going to or from Durango will still require driver to go south of Mazatlan via the highway that passes by the airport.

As far as the progress toward completion there are long stretches completed, and at least some of them are currently available for use. However there are also some areas not finished and / or finished but not practical for a connection to existing roads, so they cannot be used at this time.

I'm sure there are various reasons for different areas still being held up from completion. For example it has been reported they are still getting power into some less accessible areas for lighting and ventilation for the many tunnels the road features.

The grand opening to use the entire new stretch is getting very close and it's definitely when not if. However an exact date is still a guess at this time. In the end we're talking about getting resources and man power into some very difficult areas to access.

Edited: 9:44 pm, March 26, 2013
Vancouver Island...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

rv.net/forum/…26811675.cfm

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
4. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

AJG......wrong road!

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

mazmessenger.com/2013/…

Sooke, Canada
6. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

A few of us drove to the end of the unfinished portion of the new road. It's quite the marvel of engineering with about 40 tunnels and maybe 50-60 bridges. We were told that this road will be finished in the fall. The last tunnel we drove through before the road ended was 3 KM long!! A lot of the bridges are held up by very long,large pillars due to the mountainous terrain. The road itself is very good but being only 2 lanes I'd expect a few bad accidents, especially at nite.

California
7. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

Yes the two lane thing is very odd, and it's hard to understand why it wasn't four. Where there sections going up steep inclines at least, with an additional lane for slow trucks?

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 54
8. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

Most of it is open. The part that has not been replaced/opened is still a great drive and I really enjoyed the change of driving. Its all very beautiful.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 9
9. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

How long did it take you to drive Durango - Maz? We are going back and forth between driving and flying after school gets out

Sooke, Canada
10. Re: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?

I should explain that this hiway has been in construction for about 10 years. I imagine when it was designed there was no need for 4 lanes. Along with that the mountainous terrain would make this project too expensive IMO.I can't recall any sections that allowed for passing uphill or otherwise.

It's my understanding that this new hiway will be a 2.5 hour trip instead of 7 hours as it is now. I can imagine all the truckers will be using this plus a lot more vacationers from Durango which will be a good ting for Mazatlan.

Reply to: Does anyone know if Durango-Mazatlan highway is open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted