We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

Hey! I am a college student going with 4 others to Mazatlan this August (extremely hot I know but only time everyone can make it haha) and we're staying at my abuela's empty place at Villa Marina for 3 weeks. I've been to Maz before and stayed at the house for long periods of time as a kid but its been awhile and don't remember which buses to take or where to go. We are paying for utilities and other costs of the trip so we have a pretty tight budget. Most of us have intermediate level Spanish so asking won't be an issue but there are some practical things hopefully you can help me out with :)

1. How do you flag down a bus? How much are tickets? 3 pesos?

2. From Villa Marina/ Sabalo Cerritos Rd which bus to take to get to Mega, downtown, Fiesta Land, Old Town?

3. We're taking a Tefusa bus from Phoenix AZ to Mazatlan, any advice for traveling, safety, what to pack?

4. Also any reccommendations for some cheap fun things to do for a group of 19 year old students looking for a good time?

5. What to wear clubbing/bar hopping in Maz? pretty sure not that formal but just guessing :).

6. Our grocery budget for 5 people is 40 CDN a week, will that be enough? Planning on keeping it simple, mostly veggies, fruit, beans, etc. Is Mega or the mercado cheaper?

7. The Tefusa Maz bus depot is pparently at Road Int 1201 Ote Km north, facing Pacific Pearl Gas. I looked up PP Gas and its about a 30 min drive up to Villa Marina. There are 5 of us, each w probably one mid sized luggage bag. How much would a taxi cost, and how much should we tip?

Thank you so much for helping me out, you are awesome!

Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
1. Re: Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

WOW...that sounds like a fun time!!!

Well...the bus will be more than 3 pesos. Anywhere from 7 to 10 pesos, 10 for Sabalo Centro which will take you to Centro. Since it's 5 of you - share a taxi, 50 pesos / 5 so it seems like a wash. Your good Spanish and enthusiasm will be a huge plus. Hold your hand up at a bus stop when you see the bus you want.

Pack however you like, can you really go wrong? Safety is not really an issue. Be smart and you already seem confident.

Your dead on as far as your budget food plan. Mega is great and so is the Market --- go with it. 40 for all 5?? So 8 apiece for a week? It's can be done but with soft drinks and stuff maybe not. If you mean 40 for each all week that can certainly be done.

No need to be formal. Many 10 peso beer places in Centro and you sound like the group that will find the fun places. When you get into mixers that's when it gets costly.

Obviously the Beaches are good cheap fun, hiking the lighthouse (faro) and there is a new bike rental place next to Looney Beans in Olas Atlas. The Mexican Pacific in hot August is awesome!

The taxi by the PP...you may be able to negotiate 100 pesos. Most gringos would probably be 200 or so but they'll know your kids traveling on a budget. Locals pay 50 pesos for a fare like that. But if you cram all you stuff in one it should be cheap. Do all the lifting and carrying and wont need to tip.But if you get a good price and can spare 10 pesos.....

Have a great time!

Edited: 3:02 am, March 26, 2013
Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 7
2. Re: Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

Here is my 2 pesos worth! ha. There is a small grocery story closer than Mega at the Marina. It is a Sante Fe. I don't know if they sell meat, but are great for quick shopping. Yes it is going to be very humid and hot. You may find you want to limit your time in direct sun exposure without having shade handy. I always try to make sure I have an indoor watering hole/restaurant in mind that I can stop when I am out and about and cool off. The hiking to the light house and biking are a great idea, however it will be something you want to do early in the day. There won't be alot of "Northern" tourists, but there should be quite a few national tourist in August as they like to come to the beach for holidays as well. Remember Shade/Water/Sunscreen are your best friends! Have a blast! Let us know how you like it.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
3. Re: Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

1. How do you flag down a bus? How much are tickets? 3 pesos?

Stand at the curb, raise your right arm a bit above sholder levet, and hold it there. No need to wave.

2. From Villa Marina/ Sabalo Cerritos Rd which bus to take to get to Mega, downtown, Fiesta Land, Old Town?

Downtown, Fiesta Land, Old Town all the same bus. Sabalo Centro. Not sure on Mega.

3. We're taking a Tefusa bus from Phoenix AZ to Mazatlan, any advice for traveling, safety, what to pack?

Piece of cake. I have ridden it several times. It will be COLD on the bus.

4. Also any reccommendations for some cheap fun things to do for a group of 19 year old students looking for a good time?

Beach, beaqch, beach. Oh yea, Stone Island, aquarium, beach, and beach.

5. What to wear clubbing/bar hopping in Maz? pretty sure not that formal but just guessing :).

Something. Shorts are the norm, and T-shirts.

6. Our grocery budget for 5 people is 40 CDN a week, will that be enough? Planning on keeping it simple, mostly veggies, fruit, beans, etc. Is Mega or the mercado cheaper?

Buy bulk and save. Consider the central mercado. Much cheaper than Mega.

7. The Tefusa Maz bus depot is pparently at Road Int 1201 Ote Km north, facing Pacific Pearl Gas. I looked up PP Gas and its about a 30 min drive up to Villa Marina. There are 5 of us, each w probably one mid sized luggage bag. How much would a taxi cost, and how much should we tip?

Tufesa has a new terminal near Walmart. Fasrther south, but really should not make a difference for you. Best be, 5 guys? Use a red truck. Depending on the time of day, probably about $150 Pesos for all of you. No tip required, but you CAN give the driver a 20 or 50 if you are so inclined.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 3
4. Re: Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

thanks so much to everyone who replied! awesome info on the new Tefusa depot as well. So looking forward to this trip, and taking you up on all of your suggestions! Once again the information is much appreciated, happy travels :)

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 1
5. Re: Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

My advice for the bus ride-- take your own roll of toilet paper and have change for the rest rooms.

6. Re: Villa Marina Groceries and Other Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 10, 2014