We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Olmsted, Ohio
reviews: 9
Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Hi. We are planning to do some fishing for sailfish/marlin this summer. We rented a panga last Nov. and didn't catch anything (nobody caught anything that day). Is there much difference bewteen the two in catching marlin/sailfish? I've been on the crusiers as well in Mazatlan. I know the pangas are faster and cheaper, and I've seen them come back with sailfish, but are the crusiers really worth the extra money to help you catch that big fish? Just wanted to get other people's thoughts. Thanks

wa state
reviews: 3
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Pangas would be ok for sailfish & striped marlin but may be a little small for chasing the big marlin.

That said I plan on doing exactly that when I am in Maz. in Dec. a good skipper & an experienced fisherman shoud be able to get the job done --- the old man of the sea did.

I think summer is too early for the big marlin & too late for the stripers maybe some sailfish or swordfish around should be some dorado & tuna also.

I am sure tony will answer those questions, he seems to have a handle on the fishing in Maz.

baytown,tx.
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Big fish, big boat.

wa state
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Just checked the fish calendar; looks like blue & black marlin along with yellow tail tuna & dorado are available June through Oct.

I would book one of the faster cruisers out of the new marina using either Richardo of the Escualo Fleet or one of the several Eries boats.

We have used Richardo several times while deep sea fishing IMHO he is the hardest working skipper in Mazatlan.

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

If there are Striped Marlin, Tuna or Dorado within 15 miles of shore I don't mind being in a panga but to chase the big boys I prefer a crusier. I caught my biggest Blue Marlin (400lb.) in the first week of September with Aries III. I think August, September and October are the best months for a shot at a Blue or Black Marlin.

North Olmsted, Ohio
reviews: 9
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Thanks. I'm not expecting to catch monster marlin. On the cruisers, I've caught a couple of sailifish both around 100lbs. I figure with us going to Mazatlan in June around the 20th, we would be mostly catching (I hope) marlin and sailfish 80-100 lbs. So I'm thinking the panga would be just as good, plus cheaper giving us more money for beer. In November, we booked the panga at the Inn at Mazatlan for $250. The one thing I am trying this year is picking the date we go fishing by this website that tells you if it would be a good day for fishing and the best times based off of the tides, and moon. I checked the date that we went in Nov. against it, and it said it would be a bad day for fishing. We didn't catch anything (other than 2 bonito), and no one else caught anything. The website is tides4fishing. I know that there is a tournament the 20-22nd of June, so we would go probably on the 24th which is says is an excellent day for fishing.

Thanks again for your help, and if there are any charters that you really think are the best let me know.

Carson City, Nevada
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

In late June there won't be any Striped marlin in the area and hopefully the Dorado will still be biting at the bouys. It's a short drive and the fishing can be quite lively. If you plan on fishing where the cruisers are take an extra pillow for your maximus glutumas because thirty miles in a panga can be a very long ride! LOL

wa state
7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Contact Chalio @ 669-920-3511 or chalio_kuiku@hotmail.com.

He moores his boat at Nautica Costa Bonito on the north end of the new marina.

This guy IMHO is the best panga skipper in Maz. & probably Mex., he doesn't fish, he catches fish.

Life is good ; )

Carson City, Nevada
8. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Does Chalio let you keep all the fish you catch Birdman?

Edited: 3:00 pm, March 12, 2013
wa state
9. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Yes he does, you take what you want he & the crew filleting them will take the rest, never had to worry since we always caught more than enough for everyone.

I am knocking on wood as I type this ; )

Looks like I will be there too late to fish the big boys in Dec., but the wind, currents & weather will decide that in the end.

Carson City, Nevada
10. Re: Deep Sea Fishing- Rent a Panga or Cruiser?

Are you going to be there in late December? The latest I've fished is the first week in December so I can't guess what to expect. Maybe the Striped Marlin will be in. They're a blast and usually about as big as the Sails so you don't spend all day on one fish. Good luck.