We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BC, Canada
Surfing in Mazatlan

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to convince my fiance that we should join some friends for an April trip to Mazatlan.

He grew up surfing in New Zealand, so I'm hoping to appeal to his adventurous side. I've read mixed reviews about surfing in Maz, so any local input would be very much appreciated. I've heard the people, food and weather are great, but I think the surfing could possibly be the tipping point, so I'm crossing my fingers!

Thanks for your advice,

Jen

6 replies to this topic
Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
1. Re: Surfing in Mazatlan

I'm not too sure it's all that great Jen. I've seen some decent surf by Cerritos on windy days. I think you would need to head to more open faced beaches to find really good good surf.

Spokane, Washington
reviews: 49
2. Re: Surfing in Mazatlan

There is surfing in some areas here but it is like most places we surfed in California when I was much younger. It is better as some times of the year then others. Here is a website that you might be interested in about a surfing competition coming the end of this year to Mazatlan. mazmessenger.com/2013/…

Playa Bruja is one place where there is more surf then other places. I also see some surfers a at couple locations near Olas Altas, oposite end of Mazatlan then Playa Bruja.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 1
3. Re: Surfing in Mazatlan

There are a few surfing spots, south to north; Isla Piedra, Olas Altas, Jacarandas, Cocos, Bruja, Oceanica, Marmol and others I am sure I am missing! Pony at; http://jahsurfschool.com/photos/ is a good resource, he'll answer any questions you may have. There is also a surf camp north of town; http://www.sinaloasurfadventures.com/. All that being said, the summer swells tend to be the best.

Adelaide
4. Re: Surfing in Mazatlan

Go to Zicatela or Puerto Escondido, I don't surf and I even know how good it is there, THE MEXICAN PIPE, surely if your a surfer you would have done the research and come up with this!!!!!

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 25
5. Re: Surfing in Mazatlan

Hey BCJenny,

We were there last March and the surfing was pretty good all the way from The El Cid Marina north up to Playa Bruja. It looked pretty good at Olas Atlas at the other end of Mazatlan as well. I'm not a real experienced surfer myself but I had fun and I did see quite a few people catch some decent rides. Since your fiance is an experience surfer he may find the surf around Maz pretty tame. It's one of those things you should see and try for yourself and then form an opinion.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Surfing in Mazatlan

There's a jetty and a beach break out in front of the Luna Palace that I surfed in Feb 2010- and it was very fun

Reply to: Surfing in Mazatlan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted