We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

brown snakes in Mazatlan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
brown snakes in Mazatlan

I allmost steped on a brown thick looking snake on the shore line it was heading into the ocean , what was it ?

1. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:36 pm, February 08, 2013
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
2. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

I would have to disagree with the ' They are very common ' part. They are not UNHEARD of, but they are not VERY COMMON. This is only the second time I have seen them mentioned in the years I have lived here.

That being said, they would freak me out. I am pretty sure if I was in the water and saw one, I would find a way to walk on water!

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
3. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

As Roger said, it is a very uncommon occurence in Mazatlan but if you ever see one of these little critters don't consider handling it and the aquarium should be notified. Even though these sea snakes are quite clumsy on land they are very venomous and should be treated as the deadly snake they are.

Fruitvale, CO
reviews: 11
4. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

Two years ago there were a large number on the beach. The aquarium collected some and put them on display. Last year I saw 2 on the beach. Have never seen any in the water. On the beach if you don't bother them, they don't bother you.

Glendale, Arizona
reviews: 10
5. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

Tony is dead on about sea snakes being quite poisonous, though they are really not agressively dangerous.

Many have the same type venom as a cobra and a few other snake species, i.e. it's full of neurotoxins. Thus, it affects the nerve cells and usually causes death by paralyzing the respiratory system.

Edited: 7:12 pm, January 31, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 25
6. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

Wow, I better keep a closer eye on the beach when walking.

falconroger, I would would be freaked out too.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
reviews: 46
7. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

And that's why I don't go swimming in the ocean much.. You just never know what's in there with you!! I've seen snakes along with other strange creatures a few times out horseback riding on the beach, one just a few days ago at Stone Island. It was white with brown spots and very ugly!

Ontario
reviews: 3
8. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

"I've seen snakes along with other strange creatures a few times out horseback riding on the beach, one just a few days ago at Stone Island. It was white with brown spots and very ugly!"

Shucks, that was probably me!

9. Re: brown snakes in Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 03, 2014