We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Minnewawa, mn
Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

Maybe AI isn't such a good thing for anyone in Mexico.

Read more:

mazmessenger.com/2013/…

Regina, Canada
11. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

I did read that article and I agree that it definatly has to have a negative effect on the local economy when you have ppl not ever leaving the resort. As a smallb buisiness owner myself I can understand the challanges the owners of the resturants and shops must be facing.espicially with the negative media attention maz has gotten in the last couple years. People still should make thier own decisions on the ai option. But if you do decide to go for it as I have on many trips you should go out and support the local economy as well.

Shoreline...
reviews: 16
12. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

We did read the article Bob! We're just a motley bunch that can't stay directly on-topic for long :) It's a shame there's no map for that (lol - I'm just having a little fun, please don't be offended - I really do like your maps).

Toronto Canada
reviews: 9
13. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

Hey, I read the article. My point was that I DO leave the resort and I DO put money into the local economy.

I see the point of the article but I don't know that that writer can blame entire zones going out of business only on AI resorts. I never shop for souvenirs at my resort. The prices are insanely high and they never have the good authentic stuff I like to bring home.

Maybe they should blame the cruise ships for cutting Maz from their port list. I would think that would have a greater negative impact on the economy than a few resorts.

Edited: 8:35 am, January 23, 2013
Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 101
14. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

We do A1 everywhere we go. I cook at home all the time and refuse to grocery shop on my vacation for 2 weeks. We drink our fair share, eat breakfast, lunch and snacks on the resort. We usually meet family or friends for dinner somewhere every 2nd nite. We alternate exploring and beaching most days. In 2010 we rented a codo for a month, not for us. This year we are going to change hotels and instead of Royal Villas we will go to Playa Mazatlan for 2 weeks. We have tried both A1 and non and found what we enjoy, and we are not missing a thing. I guess a matter of personal preference.

Enjoy whatever you choose...we do.

wa state
reviews: 3
15. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

We did the A I at Pueblo Bonito for 4 days the last time we were in Mazatlan, part of a scam to get us to go to the "Owners Informational Breakfast"

Although we had never done A I before while in Mexico & we did find it to be an ok choice & will probably do it again while there next year if the offer is right.

That said we didn't spend any less time out & about than if we did not use the package.

When in Iztapa in Dec. we stayed at a resort with mandatory A I still got out & about a lot but most people were content to stay on the resort property & let the world pass them by.

Because we are traveling with friends that do the A I & if one perosn in the villa does it all have to, we will do the A I while in the D.R.

We enjoy finding good retaurants, bars, ect so try to spend as little time as possible on the resort property so will not do A I while in P.V.

Like judyjudyjudy says seems to be a matter of personal choice.

Edited: 7:08 pm, January 23, 2013
wa state
16. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

Pretty sure all the vegetables, fruits, meat, seafood, soda, water, alcohol ect that is served at the A I is bought from local vendors & much of it bottled, caught, or raised by local farmers, fishermen, ect.

I have never walked out the door at an A I bar, restaurant, or buffet, without leaving a tip for the server which I is shared with the bus boys, chefs, ect.

To say that most of this money never gets to Mexico is wrong.

How many hundresd of millions of $$ were spent building the resorts that provide thousands of jobs for the locals in Mazatlan, & why wouldn't these resorts be expected to what whatever necessary to regain their investment?

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 101
17. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

Just to be fair I did read the article, however, I do not agree totally with the author on where he is placing the blame for the economic distress. From personal experience, I don't think there are a large percentage of folks who never leave the A1 resort. If I had to choose the biggest reasons for the lack of a robust economy they would be the combination of the security alert and the cruise ships. I sure don't want the wonderful folks of Mazatlan to put all the blame on A1.

wa state
18. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

The vast majority of resorts along the beach of Ixtapa offer A I & many staying in them use the service yet the city seems to thrive.

In contrast there are a few resorts in Mazatlan that are A I & they get the blame for loss of income to the local businesses.

The problem of lost tourist dollars lies much deeper than a few resorts now offering an A I service.

Henderson, NV and...
reviews: 25
19. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

It depends on where you're staying to do AI. I don't think it is necessary in Mazatlan. There are too many great restaurants there and it's important to support the local economy. We love going out, getting the true flavor of Mexico, to spend time with the locals. I think if you have a family, then it probably would be an advantage to taking an AI plan. Kids are always hungry, wanting to eat at different times and constantly wanting snacks and drinks. It is a personal matter but it doesn't work for us. I tend to eat and drink too much to make sure I get my monies worth. I hope resorts continue to offer an optional plan so those interested can partake and not have it mandatory as it's done in other areas of Mexico.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 29
20. Re: Is All-Inclusive a good thing?

AIs are the most detrimental when they move into an area that previously had the same number of tourists who would stay non AI and patronize local restaurants, shop more, etc.

In an area like the Mayan Riviera which started off with mostly AI resorts, the loss of local business won't be as great.

Sounds like it is not really very good for Mazatlan. This is what happened (and IS happening) in Ixtapa right now....most of the hotels were either non AI or partial or at least optional AI, and now most have changed to only AI, not optional at all. It has hurt local restaurants and businesses, from all accounts.