We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Maz for Carnaval!

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandler, Arizona
reviews: 4
Driving to Maz for Carnaval!

It's "Getting Excited Time" for us, as we leave at the end of next week for our 6th or 7th Maz visit - the second one for Carnaval, and the first time driving there! We'll be staying at PB Maz and spending a lot of time in our usual favorite pursuit - walking down the malecon and around Centro, taking the ferry to Stone Island, etc. Can't wait! Feel bad for our relatives who will be here staying in our house, though, heh heh heh...

Glendale, Arizona
reviews: 10
11. Re: Driving to Maz for Carnaval!

>>In fact I was told you couldn't get the tourist permit in advance. Was that incorrect ?<<

I have not yet obtained my vehicle permit online, so all I'm doing is posting what Banjercito REQUIRES, as of NOW per it's website. And that says you need to do the PRE-authorization deal ONLINE for the tourist card BEFORE applying for the car permit. You still get the actual tourist card at the border. All you're doing online is providing all the info that goes on the tourist card.

If you have been able to obtain the vehicle permit online without going thru the tourist card PRE-authorization, the system must be broke. LOL

From the web page:

Electronic Pre-Authorization

Important: In order to complete and print out your application form, please unblock your Web Browser pop-ups and verify that Adobe Reader is installed on your computer.

This electronic pre-authorization is applicable only for American or Canadian nationals and for permanent residents of such countries, who pretend to enter Mexican territory for tourism, transit or business purposes and require to obtain a temporary import permit for vehicle.

The information that you provide in the following format must be true. Providing false information before a migratory authority will be sanctioned with penalties provided by Mexican law, in terms of articles 116 and 118 of the General Law on Population and 247 of the Federal Criminal Code.

Personal data that you provide will be protected, integrated and treated by systems managed by the National Institute of Migration, as provided by articles 148 and 149 of the General Law on Population. The objective of such systems is to control and follow up migratory procedures and to generate migratory statistics in Mexico. Such procedures were registered in the personal data systems lists of the Federal Institute for Access to Public Information managed by Government (www.ifai.org.mx) and may be transmitted to administrative or judicial authorities duly authorized by law to require such information, to the owner of the information and in other cases authorized by Mexican law. The afore-mentioned is informed in terms of the Seventeenth regulation on Personal Data Protection, published in the Mexican Federal Gazette on march 30, 2005.

Personal data (as in passport)

* Last Name

Second Last name (if applicable)

* Name(s)

* Birth date dd/mm/aaaa

* Gender Select OneFemaleMale

Place of birth

* Country Select * Current nationality Select One

* Country of residence Select

* Resident Document Select One Permanent resident cardRefugee travel documentCertificate of identity

* Document number

Passport or identity and travel document

* Identification document Select OnePassport

* Document number

* Issuing Country Select One

* Issuing date dd/mm/aaaa

* Expiration date dd/mm/aaaa

Travel information

* Purpose of trip to Mexico Select OneBusinessTransitTourism

* Intended length of stay in Mexico Select One days

Aditional information

* Have you ever been in Mexico? Select OneYesNo

* Religion Select One

* Occupation Select One

* Have you ever been deported from Mexico? Select OneYesNo

* Do you have any criminal record? Select OneYesNo

Check carefully that the given information is correct. ########Such information will be used during the temporary import permit for vehicle procedure and will be verified by the moment of your arrival to Mexico.

Is very important that you print this format, since you will need the information contained in it to continue your temporary import permit for vehicle procedure and you will be asked to deliver it before migratory authorities, at the time of your arrival to Mexico, in order to obtain the corresponding migratory documents.#####

Edited: 9:11 am, January 23, 2013
Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 53
12. Re: Driving to Maz for Carnaval!

Great post by everyone.

Don't get nervous, I did the drive my first time driving in Mexico and did not have any of this info and it all worked out fine. Nothing was difficult and I had a GPS so I didn't get lost. The Toll roads are great and only get better the closer you get to Maz.

The border was a breeze.

Getting my car permeant was supper easy without paying the scammers at the border to come do it for me. You dont need them at all.

Speeding is the normal speed limit and after I got used to doing it I noticed driving was much easer and even had police cars/trucks move out of the left lane twice to let me speed past them.

I also drove at night with no problems. Got into Mazatlan at 2 am.

Enjoy your road trip.

13. Re: Driving to Maz for Carnaval!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 25, 2014