We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best and safest beach to swim?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ann arbor
reviews: 8
best and safest beach to swim?

what hotel sits on the safest beach for swimming and would have the best oceanfront rooms as well---thanks

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
1. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

Which hotel is on the safest beach? All of them. Not trying to be flip, but Mazatlan has dozens of hotels and miles of safe beach. There are ON OCCASIONS a rip tide. (Not as bad as the ones I have been in in California, but can be dangerous.) It is fairly rare, and the hotels and life guard stands will be flying RED flags. That means be careful.

If you are concerned about rocky beaches, don't be. The hotels are all located on flat sandy beaches.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
2. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

I just stare at the sea.

I never go in it except when I'm walking and the tide comes in a bit.I can't swim so maybe that's the reason. Or maybe I'm remembering the ice cold water of England when I lived there and was on the beach daily. I think they are all quite safe though for swimming.

California
3. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

myleyaert you've inadvertently asked a question that can be a little more complicated than it would seem. While it's reasonable to say all the beaches in Maz are safe for swimming, there are exceptions and some very big differences.

If you could be a little more specific I think we can direct you to the perfect situation. For example by swimming do you mean an ocean swim for some distance along the beach, or just wading out over your head for awhile?

Do you like the idea of walking out some distance on a gradual slope, or prefer a quicker drop off? Would you enjoy a location where you could let waves push you in a little bit, or don't feel comfortable swimming with a swell?

Lastly you have a targeted time for your visit? Due to wind and wave direction that can play a major role in your question.

Edited: 9:12 am, January 05, 2013
Ontario
reviews: 3
4. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

falconroger is correct. I would suggest your best bet is any hotel in the Golden Zone. The local conditions are monitored by the "flag" system, and if there is a rock outcrop in front of your hotel, it is only a very short stroll in either direction to avoid it.

wa state
reviews: 3
5. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

There will be a dozen different answers to the best rooms, but overall you would be hard pressed to beat Pueblo Bonito Maz. as the all round best resort in the golden zone; great beach for swimming, wading, ect. nice rooms with great views of the sunset & ocean, great food , nice grounds. pools, & staff.

Our first choice over the years when booking in Mazatlan.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 7
6. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

I would use extreme caution, as the rip tides are more common than you would think and you cant really tell they are there. On Cerritos beach, I would not recommend going in over your head at all. there is not near enough warnings for people and since january of 2012 there have been approximately 170 people fished out by lifeguards on cerritos beach. Last year 3 people drowned in one incident. Cerritos beach is located on the north end from the RIU toward town. So if you are staying in the golden zone and would like to swim out be sure to talk to lifegaurds and make sure that there is one on duty before you venture out

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
7. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

Agua Maz post is bang on! There are many ways to interpret your question, so more detail would be helpful.

ann arbor
8. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

In terms of swimming I like to float around and feel safe, neither off us like much wave action. We are an older couple and love being in the water. Like being able to stand puddle around and float

California
9. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

mbleyaert info makes recommendations much easier, and I think we can help you make a good choice. Stick with me because for your sake and others who have this question I'm going to go into some detail. And don't be discouraged as I write about more challenging areas first. Mazatlan has wonderful beaches, and you will have some great options.

I think we can safely say you wouldn't be happy with the El Centro area. There are some wonderful hotels there, especially the B&B variety, however the main Beach of Olas Altas is a relatively narrow strip of sand between two major rock outcroppings.

In addition there is often a quick drop off especially at higher tides, so you're ability to stand would be largely compromised. From about April or May until November Olas Altas can get quite a bit of wave action.

Unfortunately I have to also think the very beautiful and popular location of Emerald Bay on the far north end of the tourist zone is problematic. The beach directly in front of the resort Pueblo Bonito EB actually has a fair number of rocky areas. There are clear areas to the north, but a fair ways and I've never seen a lifeguard down there.

In the April to November time zone waves can hit El Centro and the Golden Zone as they face the swell direction of south to southwest. However in the main NOB tourist season of November to April there can be wind coming down the Gulf of California from the north.

That can create what we call wind swell in Emerald Bay and far northern beaches. Wind waves may not be very big or carry a lot of current, but they are very close together and persistent. Coincidentally those same wind waves create challenging conditions on the beaches of your Great Lakes. Based on your desire to alternate floating and swimming with standing, my opinion is you're going to be uncomfortable where a wind swell is present.

Cheryl B touched on the Cerritos area, where in the spring through summer long shore currents may occur from wide spaced powerful waves originated by South Pacific storms or Mexican tropical storms and hurricanes. In addition most of Cerritos has beaches that drop off pretty quickly. In the winter this issue isn't often a factor.

The RIU, which is on Cerritos Beach. However if the slope is too great for your comfort, or the waves are up you can walk down a short distance near the rocks at Mr. Lionso's Restaurant. There the beach is shallower, and the waves break pretty far outside so that on most days it's perfect for swimming inside.

You also have most of the Golden Zone Hotels where in the winter season from El Moro Tower south it's quite calm and the bottom is pretty gradual. Just remember to stay to the south toward The Inn and Costa de Oro as going north from El Moro there is a rock reef.

Another nice option would be Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan which can get some winter wind waves, and is popular in that season for surfers on the right days. However the bottom is probably the most gradual decline in all of Mazatlan, save for right at Mr. Lionoso's which is similar. So you can go pretty far out and still not be affected much by waves should they be up.

Of course right next door to PB Maz is the Luna Palace you asked about. In addition you asked about Las Flores, which like PB Maz / Luna Palace also has a jetty creating a mildly sloping bottom and protection from waves. From the Las Flores all the way to El Moro the beach is more or less the same swim friendly type.

Have a great visit, and don't hesitate to ask for help. Like every Internet board there are some odd balls here, but mostly it's people with a lot of overall knowledge of Mazatlan.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
10. Re: best and safest beach to swim?

Good info AguaMaz!