We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ts sharks

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
reviews: 4
ts sharks

We will be back in Maz in just one week! We're extremely excited to be coming back to all of you. Our only turn off 2 years ago were the overly aggressive sharks at every turn... on the sidewalks, the English speaking gal in Mega who was summoned by an employee to help us and the "hosts" at several of the restaurants. Are they still as plentiful and pesty as they were in 2011?

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 52
1. Re: ts sharks

I've only run into them at the airport.

Side note, I have American and Canadian friends that work at the restaurants as "hosts" and they really are, so please don't be rude or blow them off until your sure they are a TS shark.

Thanks, I know it sucks having any meal ruined by someone trying to act like your friend to sell you something.

Mexican restaurants should learn this.

Glad your coming back and I hope you have a great trip. and sharkless too :-)

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
2. Re: ts sharks

I don't spend a lot of time in the tourist zone. Some, just not a lot. I have seen very few of the sharks circling this year. I did get approached by a 'real estate' salesman in Sam's club a couple weeks ago. He asked why I was laughing so I told him I was a real estate broker and had been doing it longer in Mazatlan than he had been shaving. But he took it well and went on his way.

I got the impression that he was not 'planted' in Sam's, just doing some shopping and saw what he thought might be a customer. Times are hard in real estate too.

Shoreline...
reviews: 16
3. Re: ts sharks

Last year I remembered to tell my server at Gus y Gus to make sure the timeshare lady didn't come sit down at my table. I'll say it's my biggest turn-off and a large reason I'm not the fan of Gus y Gus like most.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
4. Re: ts sharks

Right on BJ.

I have told waiters that if a shark pesters us at our table they will not get a tip.

Problem solved.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
5. Re: ts sharks

I found the TS sharks to be way less present and imposing than I found them to be just nine months ago. They are still present, particularly the ones for La Jolla, but not as bad walking through the Golden Zone. I think Bob's suggestion is brilliant though!

California
6. Re: ts sharks

Time share approaches are way, way down. Both on the street and elsewhere you'll notice a marked change in volume at least. Be aware that while there are also less TS salesman at the airport, but they are no longer limited to the one area. Now they can be inside the airport building itself, however that won't matter if you just keep walking until you get completely outside where the taxis are.

Ontario
reviews: 3
7. Re: ts sharks

So far our impression is that TS sharks are down in numbers, but the ones that remain are the tough ones that don't give up easily! For as long as we have been coming to Mazatlan, they have always been inside the airport building for the arrival of the international flights. What changed two or three years ago is that they now get still further inside so they can be right next to the exit from immigration....very disconcerting to travellers who are wrestling with the whole paperwork stuff.

Millsboro, Delaware
reviews: 26
8. Re: ts sharks

They are still out and about in the GZ.

wa state
reviews: 3
9. Re: ts sharks

When we were in Cabo last year & then in Zihuatanejo this year we ran into people we had seen hocking timeshares in Maz. in the past.

It must be slow in Maz. right now, when the tourist flow picks up, they'll be back. ; )

Edited: 12:07 pm, January 05, 2013
San Francisco...
reviews: 68
10. Re: ts sharks

I will always tip my waiter/waitress regardless of what others do. Their job is to take our order, bring us our food/drink, and occasionally check to see if we need more, and they deserve to be compensated for that. People should ask to speak with a manager about things not pertaining to that. Those wait staff work too hard to be pressured into playing body guard or else get nothing.