We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs?!

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond Hill...
Bugs?!

I am wondering about the bug situation in Mazatlan. Mosquitos? Sand fleas?

Thanks!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
1. Re: Bugs?!

I see you arrive in MZT on January 8.

At this time of year you really should not be seeing any bugs at all.

Richmond Hill...
2. Re: Bugs?!

Great - thanks!

calgary canada
reviews: 4
3. Re: Bugs?!

Hola. We have been in mazatlan since dec 21 and my legs and wrists are covered with bug bites. I only occasionally go on the beach but I'm thinking sand flees because I know from past trips sand flees love me

San Francisco...
reviews: 73
4. Re: Bugs?!

I always take Deet and use it. My wife never got bit but I always did, regardless of everybody telling me there are no bugs in Mzt in the winter! If you're concerned, be prepared. Also while in PV we ran out of Off and purchased Autan, which is a bug repellent similar, and it worked as well.

Enjoy your stay without being miserable with bug bites!

Vancouver
reviews: 14
5. Re: Bugs?!

We've been down since dec21 too and have been coming to mazatlan for years. This is the first year I've seen lots of mosquitoes and have actually had to use bug spray. It' seems more humid than normal.

California
6. Re: Bugs?!

As Mexican resorts go Mazatlan is surprisingly bug "free," (the quotations for the fact every place has some bugs). Even in the summer the Golden Zone is usually devoid of mosquitoes, and sand fleas are not typical for this area of the coast.

However as always this depends on the conditions of the day or week, and particularly on the individual. This year we're seeing an El Nino (wetter and warmer) trend, so that accounts for Migg's comment on humidity. In addition there has also been a trend toward what is sometimes referred to as the Pineapple Express where weather comes in from the southwest going toward the northwest.

Over the next few days we're going to be seeing some possible shower and / or thunderstorm activity that is rather unseasonable. The good news is this front will combine with breezes moving around the clock and coming from a variety of directions. That combo of changing winds and raindrops drives away flying bugs (like mosquitoes), so you shouldn't be seeing them presently.

Lynn I haven't heard of any beaches reporting sand fleas, have you had the bites looked at? I'm thinking it's actually something else, as sand fleas on your wrists would be very unusual. Unless you were sitting on the sand with long sleeves on perhaps?

Edited: 3:15 pm, December 31, 2012
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
reviews: 63
7. Re: Bugs?!

Lynn.... sand fleas Love me too... Only got One bite in the 2 weeks we were there.

Edited: 3:48 pm, December 31, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 25
8. Re: Bugs?!

Spent 2 weeks walking the beach everyday and no bites. Must be lucky or the bugs didn't like me. No problems with Mosquitoes, either.

calgary canada
reviews: 4
9. Re: Bugs?!

Hola my husband has no bites & I have at least 10 I always get bug bites no matter where we go. 4 times to different cities in Mexico , Jamaica & Cuba. My husband never gets bitten. It all depends on the person.

Shoreline...
reviews: 16
10. Re: Bugs?!

Thankfully bugs that bite don't bite me unless I'm the very last snack they can find. The giant mosquitos in Birmingham used to swarm my mother whenever we'd visit, so I can sympathize with those who bugs find alluring.

Last July in Maz not a single bite or scratch on me, but my friend's legs were bitten quite a bit.