We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Ribs

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Mills, Iowa
Good Ribs

If any fans of ribs are out there, I tried them at The Minnesota Cafe this trip down and they were great.......2 rib dinners for 180 pesos with a 20% discount on tuesdays and thursday...full racks and home made mash potatoes with mushroom gravey mmmmm goood....Also on a different subject....does anyone know when the Latin Grammy's are at the Convention Center and how to get tickets? Thank you

Lake Mills, Iowa
1. Re: Good Ribs

And I forgot 2x1 beers and national drinks :)

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
2. Re: Good Ribs

Yes, I love the Minnesota Cafe as well. I seem to recall the ribs there were pretty comparable to Fat Fish and same price but I don't think the Minnesota Cafe is as well known.

Edited: 4:34 pm, December 10, 2012
Arkansas
reviews: 34
3. Re: Good Ribs

Always good to hear about good ribs. How about some other good reports on food ? Any new rest. ? How are the shrimp this year ?

Salishan OR
reviews: 32
4. Re: Good Ribs

Do any of the Maz restaurants serve babyback ribs? I do like the ribs at places like Fatfish and El Paraje, but they are not babybacks, which we definitely prefer.

Ontario
reviews: 3
5. Re: Good Ribs

Babyback ribs? Well that is an interesting question! As a few have noted, this site has died in the last few days, so almost anything is interesting!

I gather baby back ribs are from ....excuse me....the babies of the pork families. As such they are meatier and smaller. However, in my opinion the secret of preparing proper ribs for the table lies in the preparation. Here in Canada, and probably in the U.S. the preparation is often lacking, so the benefits of babyribs become apparent. However, places like Fat Fish, or any number of other places, really know how to prepare ribs, so the differences are small. We know because we walk by Fat Fish when we are in town most days, and they bbq those ribs over coals for a long, long time from early afternoon.

So to answer the question, I've never seen babybacks, but I doubt they would be better than many other offerings in Maz! I am sure you will enjoy the ribs where-ever....have a good time.

Salishan OR
reviews: 32
6. Re: Good Ribs

Baby back ribs are taken from the top of the pig’s rib cage, cut from the loin section. Thus they are sometimes referred to as loin ribs or back ribs. This loin section is where we get pork chops. So a baby back rib is just basically a pork chop with the majority of loin meat removed. Since they come from the loin section, baby back ribs are lean and tender in comparison to spare ribs. The shortness and tenderness of baby back ribs make them a popular choice - usually a little easier to handle and eat..

On the belly side of the pig’s rib cage below the back ribs is where “spareribs” are taken. The spare ribs are bigger, tougher, and meatier than baby back ribs. Being larger, tougher, and meatier means that spare ribs will generally need to be cooked longer than baby back ribs to become tender.

You wouldn’t think that there would be that big of a difference in these two types of ribs, but the section that each is cut from makes a big difference in taste and tenderness. We definitely prefer the baby backs and always go for them when we have a choice, but I don't remember ever seeing them explicitely offered in Mazatlan or anywhere else in Mexico.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 52
7. Re: Good Ribs

Also if you boil them first then cook them in your oven or grill you will get meat falling off the bone.

We've bought Spareribs at Soriana and Mega and Mega has been better quality and price.

Mega also has a great T-Bone steak for $5 US.

Mazatlan, Mexico
8. Re: Good Ribs

You've always got to watch out for the 2x1 drinks.

I have never been to a place yet that had real 2x1 drinks. Normally a beer is 15 to 20 and when they do 2 for 1 its now 30 or 35 for 1.

Also their margaritas will come in much smaller glasses for their 2 for 1's as will most mix drinks. Or just have lots less liquor in them.

But they might make them somewhere :-)

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
9. Re: Good Ribs

I found the 2 for 1 drinks at Mr. Lionso's to be good!

Mazatlan, Mexico
10. Re: Good Ribs

Ok so I took a few friend to Munchkins the other day and we all had the all you can eat ribs.

They were very good and the first plate comes with a huge slab, then the 2nd order is about half the size. They don't know to take out the white cartilage but some people like that part.

So for 150 pesos or $12 USD for all you can eat I'm a fan.

Hope this helps.