We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
reviews: 34
Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

We haven't booked yet but know we will. I like to hear about all the new stuff going on. Has the beach held up from the storms?

California
1. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Karla I'm not sure what storms you're referring to, however the last time the beach was noticeably altered by a storm / waves was actually in 2011. Huge waves pushed a lot of sand up on top of the berm, and made the beach steeper and shorter. However since then things have slowly but surely returned to where you'd have to really look to see the change.

Arkansas
2. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Glad they have returned to "normal". Through the years we have seen the beach change over night. We stay at PB Maz. and the beach there seems to stay pretty much the same. Anxious to sit and enjoy the sunsets, shrimp, and the people.

saskatchewan
3. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

beach in the GZ right now is the best. When the tide is out it seems as if the beach is unlimited. Perfect for walking and not busy at all.is a shame there are no people here. Come on down everyone these wonderful people need our suport.

Ontario
reviews: 3
4. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Karla:

You are right, the beach at PB Maz seems pretty secure, probably because it is protected to some extent by the short pier at the south end, and the "bluff" at Cerritos at the north. However, in our experience the beaches further south can vary enormously from year to year, ranging from sheer rocks, to beautiful sands, all due to the weather patterns during the summer weather "events". For instance, the sand in front of Hotel Playa just about vanished a few years ago, to the extent that they were trucking sand in for the guests to enjoy.

So it is reassuring that someone has posted that the beaches down there have returned to sand. If you remind me , I can report, first hand no less, on the beaches in four weeks time.

California
5. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

The beach is not only more protected in front of the PB Mazatlan, but it has a completely also completely different in terms of texture and shape. This is due to that beach having a different type of sand than exists almost anywhere else in the Golden Zone.

Much finer in size, and significant sections more of a brown color with a few patches bordering on almost black. You can compare that to the sand in front of Diego's and Costa Marinara which is quite light in color and so coarse it's actually difficult to walk on.

The shape of the beach at PB Maz is also much wider and quite flat, with only a slight slope. That makes it perfect for walking as you don't sink in nearly as much as you do in large grain coarse sand that holds in a lot more air. It's the displacement of this air that makes you sink down and will leave those deep footprints.

The down side is the darker shade of the sand at PB Maz holds in more heat. However since most Gringo tourists go to Maz in the winter when the sun isn't nearly as strong they don't notice the difference as much.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
6. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Neils - you must have read my mind. I was wondering when you were returning and then you answered my question! Looks like we'll just be leaving as you are arriving. Have another great trip!

Ontario
7. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

".....the beach at PB Maz seems pretty secure, probably because it is protected to some extent by the short pier at the south end, and the "bluff" at Cerritos at the north....."

Obviously, I wasn't thinking straight yesterday when I posted this! I didn't mean the bluff at Cerritos, which is far too far north to have the sort of effect I was talking about, but rather the "bluff" at the entrance to the marina, where the old El Faro sits.

Ontario
8. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Follow up reply to Aguamaz:

I really have no idea why you think the sand in front of PBMaz is any different from the rest of the Golden Zone? We have walked this area many times, and never, ever, detected a change in beach "texture". Now it is true that this beach is much flatter than elsewhere, because of the coastal contours further south, which I mentioned earlier

.I'm willing to learn, but why would the sand be different there?

I have some leg problems, which makes it difficult to navigate some of the beaches in the GZ, and yes, because the sand in front of the PBMaz is flat, this means most of the beach is below the high water mark, but I'm telling you, the walk up to the hotel through the soft sand is just as difficult as on the soft sand further south.

I guess you have to actually experience all this to comment....look at my avatar!

Arkansas
9. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

Looking at old pictures----it was last year in Mar. that the beach at PBMaz. was wiped out. So strange to see; right up to under the rest. I also remember years ago how the beach at The Playa was just GONE. Couldn't believe it. Didn't realize they had to haul sand in. The thing with sand and water, none of it remains constant. Love the remarks.

10. Re: Tell me new stuff---rest. activities ????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, December 17, 2013