We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Canada to Maz

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
reviews: 2
Driving from Canada to Maz

Hope someone can offer some advice. For the past 11 years we have flown to Maz for the winter. This year for various reasons we decided we should drive. So - we did not check/book flights with Westjet. We just contacted out travel ins. agent who advised us that the ins. companies will not cover us once we cross the Mexican border. We are in our 70's so not a lot of options as far as insurance goes (unless you are a millionaire) We also have a 2 lb Chihuahua with us which complicates things further.

Anyone else having a problem with insurance to drive?

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 112
1. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Your car insurance does not cover you but you simply get Mexican car insurance before or at the border (and cancel your existing policy for a saving.) Medical insurance is something you have to research. The dog is not an issue. There are some comments about driving on the Pacific Coast forum page under top questions. A Google will bring up short articles like mexconnect.com/articles/1961-driving-in-mexi… or reference to books about driving. It requires some re-learning and maybe an attitude shift but I made it from Vancouver to Acapulco and back.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
2. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Here are a couple links on driving into Mexico and one specifically on auto insurance.

http://www.rollybrook.com/auto-insurance.htm

http://www.rollybrook.com/bringing_car.htm

I hope these are helpful.

Winnipeg
3. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't make myself clear - the driving/car ins.

is not a problem, been there done that. It is our travel health insurance that is the problem. Nothing else.

Winnipeg
4. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

I forgot to add - the dog only becomes an issue if we fly. She is too tiny to spend 6 or 8 hours in a small kennel, which is where she would be under the seat in front of me.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
reviews: 68
5. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

is the Health travel Insurance a problem because of AGE? are you over 75? is that why your agent said NO coverage?

Have you tried RBC insurance?

I do know that once you hit 75 age..the Price is out of this world if any Meds, or pre existing etc. etc.

Calgary
reviews: 3
6. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Medical Insurance- we use a brokerage who have an office in Winnipeg- Snowbird Mediquote- phone number- 204-947-9210 address 505 Pandora Ave West, Winnipeg. They use Manulife but their premiums are lower than RBC. we are in our 70's as well.

Dog- the Mexican requirements changed recently- suggest make sure your vet has the latest requirements.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 7:22 pm, December 04, 2012
Winnipeg
7. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

JoLee - Hi. No, the health insurance has nothing to do with our age. They simply will not cover anyone driving through the northern states of Mexico. Apparently once we get to Maz we will be covered. Just a little nervous at driving for 1.5 days with no coverage. With my luck I could run into a cow on the hwy.I have checked RBC and CAA and a raft of others, found them pretty pricey for 3 months coverage.

Calgary, thanks will check out your info. BUT, we belonged to Snowbirds for years, since it has been 19 years since my husband had a heart attack they will not insure him. 10 years is the limit.

Thanks for your help.

Winnipeg, Canada
8. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Hi, we are from Winnipeg and went through exactly the same thing. The problem is the Travel Advisory issued by the Cdn govt for the states of Sonora and Sinalo (but not Mazatlan). Both states you have to drive through to get here.

We finally found an insurance co by the name of Prime Link Travel Medical Insurance. There number is 1 877 251 4532

They will cover you as long as the claim is not related to the drug / gang problems down here. In other words if you stop at a Pemex and get caught in the middle of a shootout you will not be covered. But if you stop at Pemex and while getting out of your car you fall and break your leg you will be covered. I even had them confirm that in an email before we left Winnipeg.

The price was a little higher but I was a little worried about the days we would be driving in Mazatlan also.

Hope this helps and have a great trip.

Mazatlan
reviews: 4
9. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Hi There

We've driven into Mexico three times; twice on our motorcycle and two years ago in our car. We had no problems at all and our BCAA Out of Country Insurance didn't have any restrictions just because we were driving through an area with a travel advisory. We're heading down again next week and it's the same story, no issues from BCAA.

As an aside, we purchased our Mexican car insurance online from Sanborns and we made all the arrangements for importing the car through the Mexican Banjercito website. It makes crossing into mexico MUCH easier and it usually only takes 15 minutes.

Edited: 9:03 pm, December 27, 2012
Winnipeg
10. Re: Driving from Canada to Maz

Thanks for all the advice - it just got too complicated so we got a sitter for the

puppy and we are flying Winnipeg to Calgary and then on to Maz at a very

high price I might add. No deals around this year.

See you on Jan. 18th - not sure 3 months in the sun will be enough this year.

Donna