We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dig out those musty old ice skates!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 9
Dig out those musty old ice skates!

No, that is not one of my typo's. Nor is it a joke. I just got an e-mail asking if any of our MTA volunteers might be willing and able to help teach ice skating to the Mazatleco's in a week or two when they are going to open a public ice skating rink here in Mazatlan! I don't have details yet, but will pass them on when I get them. Lets all ice skate in short's!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 14
11. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

Well, the temps in Mexico City are generally quite a bit cooler, given the altitude and all. Even there, they have some trouble with the skating rinks, and it's usually only for a brief period, as well. That said, it's working! It reminds me of the outdoor rinks my Dad used to make for us, as kids, way up north. A bit lumpy and bumpy but still doable.

These kids are amazingly quick studies, and after starting out skating along, hanging on to the sides...... by the end of the hour the ones with properly tied skates are flying around having an absolute blast. No expensive lessons needed. It's very heart-warming to watch, knowing this might be their one chance to skate.

Edited: 8:18 pm, December 17, 2012
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
12. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

To see it, in all its splendor, check this out

www.noroeste.com.mx/index.php?id_seccion=6

Halfway down the page is a video (On the left side) The man in the vest is our mayor. About halfway through they show the rink and the kids skating, and this one Canadian lady with a blue shirt.......LOL

Ontario
reviews: 3
13. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

That was tremendous, Roger! Reminded us of the whole Mazatlan scene and style before we arrive shortly. Thank you for posting this.

By the way, do I really recognize the blue shirt....?

Lake Minnewawa, mn
14. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

All I can say s wow!

This looks like such a great thing for the kids in Mazatlan.

One question?

Has it been revealed which Mazatlan businessman paid for the ice rink?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
15. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

The city is paying for everything so far as I know.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
16. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

The reason I asked whose paying is because of reading the article I linked on post three of this thread.

The Mayor stated an unnamed business was paying for the rink.

17. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 20, 2013