We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dig out those musty old ice skates!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 9
Dig out those musty old ice skates!

No, that is not one of my typo's. Nor is it a joke. I just got an e-mail asking if any of our MTA volunteers might be willing and able to help teach ice skating to the Mazatleco's in a week or two when they are going to open a public ice skating rink here in Mazatlan! I don't have details yet, but will pass them on when I get them. Lets all ice skate in short's!

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
1. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

Ice skating in Mazatlan! Kinda goofy and kinda cool!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
2. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

Here is an archived article from Maz Messenger.

Hope it links OK.

mazmessenger.com/2012/…

Lake Minnewawa, mn
3. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

It was announced today a Christmas Fair will be held at the Bosque de la Ciudad. This is the large park between the baseball stadium and the Acuario.

This will include a Nativity scene, A Santa's village, and the ice skating rink.

Here is a link to the article on MazMessenger

mazmessenger.com/2012/…

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 14
4. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

This will be rather interesting... 30C during the day, and "ice" out in the open air? I am way too Canadian to even picture this happening without snow on the ground. :-) Who is supplying the skates (which are non-existent here)?

Lake Minnewawa, mn
5. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

I have seen info on other rinks in Mexico.

Here is a webcam view of the Zocalo in Mexico City, DF

webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-mexico-zocalo.html

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
6. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

They were setting stuff up today when I went out that way shopping. (Even us old Gringos have to eat once ion a while!) It looks as if they will take the southbound lanes in front of the city park (Which is the street that runs parallel to the Malecon between the baseball stadium and the aquarium) for all this. I have not had any further contact from the city about providing volunteers to teach the Mazatlecos to ice skate, nor the hours, nor where the skates would come from.

Ontario
reviews: 3
7. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

Apparently this runs until January 14th. Please tell me that Santa will not be there until then!

Seriously, this is the sort of thing the city has needed for years. It may not work for all, but it's a major effort to enliven the place for tourists and locals. We will certainly give it a visit...without the ice-skates, weight restrictions on baggage you know!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
8. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

I have looked into this a little on the internet.

From what I have found out the other places with these temporary ice rinks provide skates.

I read on the Mexico City TA forum that skates in all sizes are available free of charge.

They also say the lines in Mexico City to use the rink are often a mile long.

Eagerly awaiting reports of how this goes in Mazatlan.

I totally agree that promotions of this type are needed for Mazatlan.

The street Roger refers to is Leonismo Internacional. The Acuario is at the bottom of the screen.

wikimapia.org/…h

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
9. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

I just heard back from Lissy Bernal (With the mayors office) on the ice rink. It is scheduled to open on Dec. 13th. with a big dedication for the 'Santas Village', ice rink, and the new expanded city park. (Skate board park, soccer field, and bike path.) It is supposed to be open (The skate rink that is) for about 5 days and they are looking for volunteers to help 'coach' Mazatlecos on ice skating. It seem not to be a common skill here for some reason. LOL The rink will be open about 12 hours a day. If you feel capable of volunteering, contact me at <roger@maz-homes.com> as they asked me to set a schedule. I have a feeling there will be many 'Funniest Home Video' moments!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
10. Re: Dig out those musty old ice skates!

Ice rinks in Mexico!!

There is a hockey game in Mexico City outside tonight.

webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-mexico-zocalo.html

What is the latest on Mazatlan outdoor ice rink?

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan