We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo rental rip off

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
280 posts
38 reviews
Condo rental rip off

Just a heads up that if you plan on renting property 1429 Mazatlan Beach House listed on 4BeachNuts(dot) com. Do Not send him your money in full or any money you can not recoup.

I booked the place back in May and arrived in October to a deserted, dump. He had emailed me right up to 2 days prior to my arrival and told me where to find the key etc etc.

Upon arrival, there was no key, no caretaker and an abandoned home in desperate need of care. I contacted him and he feigned concern, saying he would send the money back and that he had not been on the property since May and was embarrassed.

We have tried and tried to get him to return the payment but he does not reply to emails or phone.

Jason (Potts) also operates Ifishmazatlan(dot)com and promotes this property on his site. Don't trust him.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
9,439 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Condo rental rip off

Wow.. that is Awful... Good warning.

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Condo rental rip off

Sorry to hear of your experience thanks for warning others

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Condo rental rip off

Thats terrible. What did you do when you get here?

Bucerias, Mexico
Level Contributor
280 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Condo rental rip off

I had driven for 8 1/2 hours and decided that I would just drive straight through, although it was teaming rain and was getting dark. My B&B is in Bucerias so it would be another 5 hours through the mountains.

Problem was I have 2 goldens and hotels won't accept them and I could not see wasting time begging. As I was heading for the highway I noticed a family motel (truck stop) at a set of lights. After leaving a large damage deposit they decided my goldens were pretty good looking and clean and allowed us to stay.

Giving the fact this guy operates a fishing business in Mazatlan, you would think he would have better business sense. But then maybe his whole life is a scam. It all worked out, but we are out the money we gave him.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Condo rental rip off

I just checked the website...and I guess they need some spelling lessons if they are going to be renting in other areas!!! Would make me stop to think/wonder if they can't spell the towns they are renting in!!

Ixtapa Zqqihuantanejo is a charming seaside town

Here is another one to avoid...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g153445-i356-k5705…

Edited: 6:36 pm, November 26, 2012
western canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
6. Re: Condo rental rip off

has anyone rented from Maz4rent

7. Re: Condo rental rip off

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:57 pm, December 18, 2012
Denver, Colorado
6 posts
8. Re: Condo rental rip off

I have nearly the same experience with Villa tranquila rental.Accepted money and disappears. thankfully before i left for my trip I checked out the owner of the property and he has NOT given permission to rent his home.

He lives in Villa Tranquila in the casa closest to the road. Also he drives a yellow Nissan Xterra California plates.

I have a photograph of him And his home if you are per suing him through the Tourist police.

Lpfent@me.com

North Carolina
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Condo rental rip off

We used mazatlan4rent - owned by Lionee & Kristen Decker for out trip last month. We stayed at the Ocean Front Inn - great location between Olas Altas & Gold Zone. Spent 2 weeks there last year when it was still a B&B. Let me know if you need more info.

Denver, Colorado
6 posts
10. Re: Condo rental rip off

Potts has no charter business, and is a ripoff artist only to get your deposit money.

There are a bunch of reputable charters in Maz.