We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 5
Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

Sounds like they want tourists to buy everything from local merchants including batteries and nail clippers. This has the potential to generate a lot of revenue. I leave in 2 weeks so this does concern me. Best to let go of trying to have complete control of foreign security measures. I do wonder if mailing some of these items to the destination might be easier and less expensive than buying new batteries for cameras and chargers for phones! Flying Alaska so hoping to have a good experience. Now, what is the best ground transportation to the El Cid Marina Resort? Anyone?

Chatham, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

A link to this info would be nice for TA members to read for themselves.........otherwise.........

Carson City, Nevada
2. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

There isn't anything out of the ordinary with the screening and they don't confiscate clippers or batteries at the Mazatlan airport. This must be a bad joke...not funny though.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
3. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

leaving CUN a few years ago they DID take away my very expensive nail clippers which were in my carry-on. THe "blade" portion is less than half an inch long.

i guess they can take anything they want under whatever pretenses they want. I would think they MIGHT get suspicious if you carry "excessive" amount of an item for one traveler.

Ontario
reviews: 3
4. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

I haven't a clue what you are talking about, but the security regulations at Mazatlan are more or less the same as any other airport in the world. Get used to it!

Transportation to El Cid Marina? Posted rates at the airport....

Zone 1 - All of old Mazatlan and all of the Golden Zone north to the El Cid Marina Hotel. Taxi - up to 4 passengers $340 MXN, Van - minimum 5 persons (called collectivos in many parts of México) - $100 MXN per person.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
5. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

I, too, have no idea where you heard this.

We have always brought nail clippers and batteries etc.

If items passed through USA security there was no problem in Mexico.

It is good you asked your question here instead of relying on what you heard. Most new travelers to Mexico get tons of advice from others who have never been to Mexico.

neils taxi advice is correct. Just make sure you go all the way out to the curb to get a taxi.

Edited: 12:44 am, November 24, 2012
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
6. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

The items mentioned cannot be carried in your carry on, but CAN be packed in checked baggage. Also, they would be confiscated when boarding. NOT when arriving.

Chatham, Canada
reviews: 2
7. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

Mexico regulations always seem to differ from one person to another for boarding planes and may be different than ours but there are no restrictions from the U.S. or Canada that prohibits you to bring Nail clippers, nail file or batteries in your carry on baggage although batteries have some restrictions on how they must be stored to prevent shorting out against other objects.

www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.aspx…

seatguru.com/articles/tsa_prohibited_items.p…

Carson City, Nevada
8. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

Last month when I arrived and departed from Mazatlan I had both batteries, two cameras and a small set of nail clippers in my backpack which I took on the plane so either the inspection was very sloppy or they are in fact allowed.

Mount Vernon...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

El Cid usually offers free airport pickup.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
10. Re: Re: Mazatlan Airport Security Screening, Be Prepared!

Things certainly CAN be different in Mazatlan...varies who is on duty and how many flights there are...read my post and realize that everything that I had in my carry on was legal, had come down with me...thru TSA inspection in Minneapolis...on thru Phoenix...and arrival in Mazatlan...not a problem...until I left Mazatlan...

Not one thing illegal...just inspecdtion people who saw opportunities.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k4043…