We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver Jewelry Shops

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
Silver Jewelry Shops

My wife and I go to Mazatlan almost every year and I always like to purchase her a nice peice of silver jewelry. I've found a few shops that sell some good quality items but we like to explore and we're always on the hunt for something unusual.

I'm not talking about the cheap crap that gets husstled up and down the Gold Zone. Very little of that is actually silver when they keep adding another peice to the bundle to close the deal.

Does anyone know of a shop where they have purchased jewelry and feel confident that the goods are of good quality and are authentic?

Mazatlán, Sin...
1. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

Don't know any in particular, but here is a way to protect yourself against the false stuff (from Charle's Hall's book, Mazatlan IS Paradise, due out soon in a completely updated new edition:

"Be cautious when buying silver jewelry. Sometimes when you think you are getting a fabulous deal on silver, you may be buying a silver-coated item. They are nice pieces of jewelry, but if you are interested in sterling silver, look for the numbers “925” and “Mex” or “Mexico” on the back of the item. Counterfeit silver has been found with those markings so take along a refrigerator magnet and place it next to the jewelry. If they connect, you know it is not genuine."

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
2. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

Yes, I know about the magnet test. I carry one with me. Thanks for the tip on the book.

Lake Mills, Iowa
3. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

Go to Margaritas resturant in the Golden Zone and talk to David (young Mexican lad) He and his father carry fine silver and other jewelry at a fair price.....tell him a Iowa farmer sent you (he will laugh about that)

Sunriver, Oregon
reviews: 1
4. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

There is a small shop in the golden zone. Here's PACO'S. Between IBIS and Albatross. He has Real Silver. We have been using him for over 28 years.

Edited: 10:01 pm, September 29, 2012
wa state
reviews: 3
5. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

There is a very nice shop across from Playa Mazatlan, I don't remember the name but they do sell real silver & gold, not so much of the latter since the price has increased so much however.

We have bought many pieces from them over the years & they have always good prices & have passed the "magnet test".

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
6. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

My recommendation is the same as Deacensusie, above: Here is Paco, or Paco's Bling. He is incredibly honest and given a couple days can get the silver piece(s) you are looking for.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
7. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

Birdman,

I think you are referring to Quetzal.

Most of the vendors on the beach visit a wholesaler early in the day and choose their haul. Anything unsold is returned to the wholesaler. I was told that by the owner of the Real McCoy. I've even been upstairs to his wholesale room. INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has very good merchandise.

Most of the stores have beautiful stuff and the nicest I've ever seen is found in the little mall that leads up to Panchos restaurant.

I bought a resin iguana at the Azteca store ( formerly Hectors ) plated in 999 silver for 6000 pesos. It's a lifesize numbered piece and it's beautiful.

I also bought a gorgeous necklace and bracelet set in that mall at La Venta de Plata ( I think that's the name ) but the same owner has The hole in the wall shop across from it. I got that three years ago for $5000 pesos and it appraised here for $3000 dollars probably due to every single stone being genuine and mirror matched.

If you look around you can buy amazingly beautiful pieces in Mazatlan that you cannot buy anywhere else. I have NEVER found anything that can equal my beautiful necklace and bracelet.

There is crap to be found but it has a market also. It's called costume jewellery here. Nothing wrong with it if that's what you want.

Places like Pacos, La Perla....all the little stores are reputable but having said that.....THEY can get ripped off occasionally by THEIR supplier. A guy I know told me that they buy their merchandise by weight in huge bags and sometimes the supplier can slip in a few low quality pieces that go unnoticed when you are dealing in high volume.

Good silver earrings=300 to 500 pesos.

GREAT thick mens rings set with any stone go for about the same which I think is unfair because the mens rings are 10 times the weight.

Don't get me started....clothing alterations, haircuts, car mechanics............

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
8. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

I've found that to avoid getting ripped off, buy from people with good reputations.

Fresno CA
reviews: 8
9. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

El Delfin across from Royal Villas

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
10. Re: Silver Jewelry Shops

There is a good one close to the Belmar Hotel. I forgot about that one.

High end stuff and reasonable prices. It's almost next to the Belmar and I can't remember the name.