We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colbert, Washington
reviews: 22
When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

When we arrive at the airport would it be rude to ask our cab driver to drive us by the Banamex or Santander bank to exchange our US dollars to pesos? We have about 760 pesos so enough to pay him but we are thinking we'd love to have more for tipping, etc and do not want to make a special trip to town to get pesos. Didn't know if either of these banks were on the way or out of the way.

I was told there was no exchange place near the RIU and that RIU does not exchange US dollars only Canadian?

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 13
1. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

Where did you hear the RIU does not exchange USD? I would be surprised if that were the case.

Stopping would be an additional fare. It will be considered one fare from the airport to the bank and one from the bank to the hotel, so be prepared for that if you choose to stop. Banks (Banamex Golden Zone , for example) have fairly long lines, so asking your taxi driver to go there, find parking, and wait for you while you line up and go through the procedure would constitute two taxi fares, since it takes him out of service and prevents him from working. Also, to get from the airport to the RIU, they don't go through the Golden Zone.

Edited: 12:35 am, August 03, 2012
Bourke, Australia
2. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

Just ask your driver to stop at the Banamex near Soriano on the way,I use that bank to get money every week, max waiting time is 5 minutes.

It will not be 2 different fares, just tip the driver, and SMILE.

wa state
reviews: 3
3. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

The taxi fare can be paid in US dollars at the taxi booth.

To have the driver stop at the bank would probably be an extra fare since the driver would have to go out of his way to find a bank for you.

(They use a different route to the RUI than to the golden zone)

It'd be cheaper & easier to have your $$ exchanged at the RUI.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
4. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

I have to agree with hando on this.

There is a Banamex Bank right in the same parking lot as Soriana Santa Rosa. This is right on the main highway from the airport and is not out of the way.

Many people going to the north area hotels have the taxi stop at Soriana without paying an extra fare, just a good tip.

If the exchange difference between the bank and hotel would justify the tip I don't know.

wikimapia.org/…b

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
5. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

I agree with Hando. The cab driver will be happy to stop and wait and yes, he would expect a tip.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
6. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

I forgot to mention that you have to remember that those cabs can only carry passengers one way and there are fewer flights now so I think the taxi drivers would welcome a stop for a tip.

Mazatlan, Mexico
7. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

I sometimes use that bank and it is real busy near a quincena (payday) when people get their money and pay bills. I heard only Banamex in Golden Zone changes dollars, but maybe it changed since?

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 86
8. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

Have you considered using an ATM instead?

Colbert, Washington
reviews: 22
9. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

We do not have an ATM card and aren't interested in getting one as our credit card has an amazing rewards program.

Looks like we will be heading to the Banamex. We always tip and especially if our cabbie will be making an extra stop.

California
10. Re: When we arrive, ask taxi to stop at Banamex then hotel, RIU?

While the stop at Banamex may technically equate to two fares, I'm confident a nice tip will make that issue disappear quite nicely and the airport taxi will take you on to your RIU destination.

However the much bigger issue is the question is hassle and time. I've exchanged at that paticular Banamex, and as mentioned there are very long there. Worse the lines are so slow you'll be passed by turtles on their way to the RIU.

In addition if you're Americans the boys in Washington pressured the Mexican government to track your exchanges. Consequently you'll have to provide the bank with a copy of your passports in order to exchange USD for pesos. So make sure you pack those copies along, as they don't typically make them for you.

I would strongly suggest you follow up on Mazzi's question and call or E-mail the Riu to ask them about exchanging money. Also find out their exchange rate is. I can't imagine the RIU doen't have an exchange window, and unless their rate is unusually low it will be a real waste of time to go through the major hassle of going to a bank.

Edited: 3:11 pm, August 08, 2012