We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salsa dancing

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 1
Salsa dancing

I'm planning on going to Mazatlan at the end of this month from Wednesday to Sunday. Are there any places on one of those nights that plays salsa and has some good salsa dancers (mainly locals)? If there are no places with salsa, at least a local club with merengue and kumbias?

Los Angeles
11. Re: Salsa dancing

I did end up going to the Mambo Cafe, and while the place has really great atmosphere (it reminds me of the Rainforest Cafe a little bit), it did lack good dancers. The band played good music, but we went there on a Thurs. and a Saturday and the band played the same songs in the same order with the same "show" which consisted in part of girls and guys getting up on stage aroune 1am to compete for who dances the best which always ended up in someone stripping - not my idea of salsa dancing. It was more like a concert gone bad at that point. The 2 or 3 guys there who looked like they could dance salsa came with girls - way more girls there than guys. It's fun if you like merengue, kumbia, and rock in espanol because you can dance in a group for all that, but if you're a salsa dancer, it's pretty frustrating to hear the great music and not be able to dance with anyone. I think it would be great if they would start salsa lessons and start teaching the locals how to dance it Cuban style. Overall, I would recommend going here to at least get more of a taste of the Mexican culture, than the other bars and clubs where all the tourists hang out. If you like spanish music and salsa bands, this is a good place to go to listen to the music.

The Bay Area...
12. Re: Salsa dancing

I know that I am e-mailing too late (as you probibly already are in MZT but the place is called MANGOS! live music, Salsa, Cumbia, Merangue, you name it!!! great place.

The Bay Area...
13. Re: Salsa dancing

OOPS, I meant Mombo Cafe too.......oops, always get that mixed up :)

Sacramento
14. Re: Salsa dancing

I just got back from my trip in Mazatlan and I went to the Mambo cafe on a Thursday night and it was soo much fun. There are a lot of women there, but it's because Thursdays are ladies night. Although I have to disagree with your statement that no one there knew how to salsa... The locals there were some of the best dancers I've seen. And there were plenty of single latin men who knew how to dance as well. I can't wait to go back next year!

los angeles...
15. Re: Salsa dancing

keffy, I'm planning to be in Mazatlan Dec.8-17, and am interested in doing some salsa dancing while I'm there, so let me know if the Mambo Cafe was happening, and of any other dancing places you discover out there.

Hope you're having fun.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 9
16. Re: Salsa dancing

I haven’t made it yet, but hope to make it next week. (It’s a late night for an old fart). Have heard many good things from the locals. The band is from Columbia, and while they open at 9 P.M., the first 2 hrs. are recorded music and some lessons. (Still fun) The band fires up at 11 P.M. and goes till 4 A.M. (This is from several local friends who go there)

A bus won’t help you as they stop running at 10 P.M. but taxis will cost about 3 or 4 dollars at that hour to and from almost any hotel in the Gold Zone. La Gran Plaza is a big shopping center south and a bit east of the hotel Zone, right next to the Sam’s Club. It is going to be safe as it is

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 9
17. Re: Salsa dancing

Add to my last post "As it is in the biggest shopping center in Mazatlan. Good area, not off in the boondocks somewhere."

Los Angeles
18. Re: Salsa dancing

Faviola-

Mambo Cafe is definitely worth checking out while you are there. It's not L.A. - that's for sure - the dancing doesn't even compare, but the band is good and maybe you'll be there on a good night and there will be some good dancers. Have fun!