We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent Sale

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach, VA
reviews: 1
Tent Sale

Does anyone know if the tents will be set up again this year? We really enjoyed it last year and got a lot of nice gifts to take home.

Ontario
reviews: 3
1. Re: Tent Sale

I'm laughing, luvmaz, someone asks this every year!

For the past two years it has appeared in the Fiesta Hotel parking lot for ten days or so the second week of March, I think. I say "appeared", because very few seem to know anything about it until then, so it's far too early to solve this mystery!

But you are right, it is a tremendous market, with all sorts of different and reasonable stuff. Even I go there several times for my family gift shopping.

Virginia Beach, VA
2. Re: Tent Sale

Thanks Neils. Hopefully they'll show up again in March while we're there!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
3. Re: Tent Sale

Please see my post 'More things to see and do' . A big thing I have suggested is to find out about this type of thing early on and get the word out! SOMEONE know when this kind of thing is happening.

Ontario
4. Re: Tent Sale

I'll pop in to the Fiesta and try my luck!

Ontario
5. Re: Tent Sale

O.K. went into Fiesta Hotel a short while ago and asked about the market. They seemed to know about it, and went right back to the office to compare notes, and came back with the smiling answer..."perhaps in April"!

Now having spent a few winters in Mazatlan, this could mean any one of three things. Almost certainly April, but don't hold me to it. Not sure, but April seems like a good guess. Or we really haven't a clue, but to be polite here's an answer! Gotta love this city!

As Roger said, someone probably knows, but they're not letting on, and as there is little I can do about it, I'm not going any further, but I think it will show up the second week of March like the past two years.

But don't hold me to it....lol!!!

Virginia Beach, VA
6. Re: Tent Sale

Hope it's in March. Thanks for the update Neils.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
7. Re: Tent Sale

" To be polite, here is an answer"

Oh how true. Apparently the local culture finds it insulting to say I don't know

I have been told that the local people will always give you an answer, I have experienced this numerous times.

But??? Do they really know?? Doesn't matter.

Gotta love the people and the city.

Edited: 11:12 pm, February 01, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 86
8. Re: Tent Sale

It's not just the city, it's the entire Mexican culture!

Mazatlán, Sin...
9. Re: Tent Sale

Yes, it is a cultural thing! As I wrote in my book Enjoy México in Spanish about getting directions to somewhere:

"If the person giving you the directions says tres cuadras rather pensively, that means he's not sure, but it's probably about three blocks. BUT, if he says it very definitely, ¡Tres cuadras!, that means he really doesn't know how many blocks it is, but he's not going to lose face and let you know that. This is a real cultural difference in México. Right or wrong, you'll seldom be told:

"I don't know."

no sé

noh*say

"You'll almost always be told something."

Edited: 6:43 pm, February 03, 2012
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 13
10. Re: Tent Sale

Pretty certain this event is always in March. Here is a thread with last year's news on it's opening.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k4310…

Edited: 1:01 pm, February 04, 2012