We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 18
Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

We are considering flying into PV next year , spending a week there then taking a bus up to Mazatlan and spending a second week there, and flying home from MZT.

I know the bus goes thru Tepic, and may stop or layover there. i know prices may change by the time we travel but does anyone have any ballpark idea of costs and time involved? Opinions on "good idea" or "bad idea" welcomed.

Illinois
reviews: 519
1. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

We have not done this bus trip, but did have a great experience on a first class bus going from Acapulco to Mexico City. When you get to your resort, there should be someone who can help you get your ticket. We have thought about doing the same thing and we were told that it is a 7 hour, but scenic ride. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
reviews: 46
2. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

I just did that last month. PV to Maz and then Maz to GDL $30 usd on very comfortable buses.. 7 hour rides. A quick stop just enough for a quick smoke. Both tickets were bought at the counter right before departure time. They give you bottled water & Coke, sandwich, cookie, chips. AC TV & bathrooms in back. I highly recommend as a cheap form of travel. No problems and I would do it again right now..I wish I was sitting on a bus in Mexico than in Alaska right now. I used www.tap.com.mx

Calgary
3. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

Is anyone aware of where the bus station is, relative to where Baja Ferries docks from their crossing over from La Paz?

Lake Minnewawa, mn
4. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

I have tried to get the ferry terminal and the central bus station on one map.However, the points get too small to really show any detail. I will try this approach and hope it makes sense to others.

Here is a map showing the ferry terminal. This will show what to look for on the second map.

wikimapia.org/…m

This map is centered on the main bus terminal. It is under the center crosshairs.

wikimapia.org/…m

If you leave the crosshairs on the bus terminal and click minus on the left of the screen four times, the ferry terminal will appear at the bottom.

Using the distance calculator shows the distance between as 2.8 miles or 4.4KM.

I hope all this helps. Ask all the questions you want if this is unclear.

Edited: 11:34 am, October 28, 2012
Calgary
5. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

This looks totally reasonable. Thanks very much for your insight!

canada
reviews: 7
6. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

Thank you for all of the input. It is very helpful>

Henderson, NV and...
reviews: 24
7. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

We have done this but in the opposite direction. Make sure you take 1st class service which is very reasonable. It had cost us about $30 as stated in a previous post. We had made our reservations using the internet which I do not recommend. I didn't have any problems until putting in the credit card info. It didn't take so I refreshed it and did it again. Seems as though it originally went thru so we wound up with 4 seats for the 2 of us. We had a hard time getting back the monies for the other 2 seats. I advise you to go to the bus terminal to get your tickets. If you want to make sure there is space available for a specific date, I would go ahead of time to purchase the tickets. It is a nice 7 hour trip stopping in Tepic for a short time. Movies included but in Spanish. Have fun...

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 19
8. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

Im interested in traveling by First CLass on the BUS, but I dont know how to find INSTRUCTIONS IN ENGLISH ON ANY OF THE TERMINALS? AM I just not Looking in the RIGHT PLACE?

PLEASE HELP. I dont want to get out there on my own and get lost

Wisconsin
reviews: 16
9. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

We took Trifec bus lines from Phoenix to San Carlos Mex last year, we did book on line, but notified out credit company before hand for security they do watch where and what you purchase. The bus in general was comfortable, a few stops to stretch, smoke, bathroom, and I'd do it again. only draw back was no one else spoke English, I know I'm going into Mexico, BUT we were leave US. Not sure this bus line drives the route you're interested in while in Mexico, but take a look on line, they did have on line insructions in English as well.

Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 4
10. Re: Puerto Vallarta to Mazatlan by bus

My husband and I did this in 2009 - PV to Mazatlan. Arrived at PV bus terminal early, bought tickets there. Changed buses in Tepic. Total of about 7 hours. Very nice bus w/movies. They even have leg rests so you can put your feet up. Bus was stopped outside of Mazatlan and people had to get off and open their luggage up so the Federales could look in them. Kind of unnerving, but I suppose they're looking for drug smugglers. Great trip and wonderful driver. We took the TAP bus and I think it was about $30.