We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble understanding "zones" in Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Simi Valley, CA
Trouble understanding "zones" in Mazatlan

Need some advice from folks (like Mazbook!)who know Mazatlan.

My 70-year-old mother is making her *first* trip to Mexico, and meeting my aunt at her hotel -- the Costa De Oro Beach Hotel,Camaron Sabalo 710.

She is quite capable and spry, but doesn't speak a lick of Spanish. Should she take a shuttle to her hotel (I think it is also a time-share condo). She can carry her own luggage easily.

1) Is it particularly easy to exit the airport and find these shuttles? How are they labeled -- "Shuttle"? Or something in Spanish?

2) Need pesos or dollars?

3) I can't figure out what "zone" her hotel is.

Advice appreciated!

Leann

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
1. Re: Trouble understanding "zones" in Mazatlan

Actualy there is only one "zone" and that is the tourist zone called the Golden Zone. The Costa de Oro is in the Golden Zone. Yes, they are right outside the small terminal and easy to find. But I recommend a taxi as they cost about $22 USD to your hotel. You can pay in pesos or US dollars. It is customary to NOT tip cab drivers--unless they do something special or make a stop for you. Don't ask me why, I don't make the rules, just pass them on. I'm sure she will have a nice time her hotel is one of my favorites and in the middle of good hotels, shops, etc. Tell her to walk across the street and visit Mazatlan Book and coffee and say hi to Mazbook. If she likes shrimp, tell her to go to the reswtaurant in the hotel and have a shrimp omelet and put fresh salsa on it--yummmmm!

Simi Valley, CA
2. Re: Trouble understanding "zones" in Mazatlan

Thanks Mazbook --

I'm curious why you recommend the taxi over the shuttle -- Mom sounded content to take the shuttle when I was explaining the options. Do they put your large luggage under the bus, and you carry on your carry-on? Are there sometimes seedy characters lurking the tourists?

When in doubt, I'll tell her to take the taxi.

And is Mazatlan books across from the Costa de Oro? I will certainly send her in!

Thank you.

Leann