We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 9
Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

We start tomorrow! I don't know exactly how many volunteers will show (One of the quirks of a volunteer group) but we are off an running. This is a group of Canadians and Americans who live in, and love, Mazatlan. We are tired of the negative publicity, but can't stop it. What we CAN do is get out there and meet with the tourists to let them know they are appreciated and that we volunteers, the City Police, the Tourist Police, the State Police, the Federal Police, the Army and the Navy, are watching out for them.

I had meetings today with the State Tourist Bureau and they are behind us 100% and we are co-ordination our program and theirs to make them mesh together effectively. They are printing maps that we can use. Turns out they were thinking the same thing I was and the maps will have a suggested walking route.

Then at 4 p.m. I had a meeting with the Director of the port of Mazatlan. He also is behind us 100% AND he wants us to put volunteers not inside the gate of the port, but AT THE GANGWAY where passengers disembark! We will be the first thing they see in Mazatlan! He is giving us a limited number of credentials for entry into the port. Amazing.

We don't yet have our T-shirts saying Mazatlan Tourist Aide, but we do have purple banners with a question mark on it and Mazatlan Tourist Aide Volunteer. We will be patroling the streets (Just downtown to begin with) and have a table in Plaza Machado, on the Malecon in Olas Altas and later mor farther up towad the Gold Zone. We will have maps and answers. If you see us, stop by and say "I heard about you on Trip Advisor'.

So tomorrow, it begins!

84 replies to this topic
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
71. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

To Greg W and everone else, things in Mazatlan are as stable as always. No issues from the election. No issues with security. Just another lousy day in paradi se!@ :-) This year (So far) pur volunteers are at Plaza Machado in Old Mazatlan Mon. thru Friday. Also on Olas Altas in old town at the Copa de Leche every day except Tues. (They are closed on Tues.) We also have volunteers at the Social Cafe in front of the Costa de Oro, and on a varying schedule walking through the main part of the Gold Zone and a couple who walk down the beach in that area.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
reviews: 4
72. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

Thanks for the info. I will look for you folks. I know how easy it is to get sucked into a conversation from a ts person. We were in Mazatlan for the first time 2 years ago and we will be back there later this month. I need a good map to find the above mentioned locations. Where can I find one our first day in town? I hate to stop in the airport and look like a tourist and feel like road kill with buzzards circling.

Las Cruces, New...
reviews: 4
73. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

Perhaps your group can help me. My husband and I plan to rent a house in Mazatlan in the old section, not the tourist section. It does not have secure parking and the street parking in the neighborhood is IFFY. Where might one find secure parking for a 19 1/2 foot van/Class B motorhome? Our dates are March 1 to 31, 2014.

Thank you!

New Castle, DE
reviews: 14
74. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

Sure wish your group could work on the airlines and tourism industry to bring more affordable flights into Mazatlan. There are so many wonderful hotels there but flights are the highest I found in Mexico. I wouldn't suggest vacationing or buying a timeshare there until rates become competitive with other cities.

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 8
75. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

I have been to Mazatlant many times and it has always been a great vacation. I am coming with my family and meeting another family from Canada. Please give me an idea of the current saftey issues. lease no double talk for tourist . We stay at the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. Any help would be great.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
76. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

JTC, sorry for the delay. I just now saw your message. There are NO security issues, other than what you would see in any city anywhere on earth. In fact, for tourists there never have been any security issues. The crime you read about is not, nor has it ever been, dirrected against tourists. End of story.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
77. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

If you are among the thousands who will be coming to Mazatlan this season on a cruise ship, here is a list of locations where you will find the 'Mazatlan Tourist Aide Volunteers'. (While this schedule will be in effect for EVERY ship, keep in mind that we are ALL volunteers. So it might be possible to not find a volunteer at a specific location.) As a rule, I try to have at least two volunteers at each location. There will be several roaming through the downtown area, and as man as I can get roaming through the Gold Zone, near where the buses drop off and pick up for the ships.

Location 1 The docks beside the ship AND on the tram's from the sip to the gate 7:30

Location 2 Kiosk inside the gate 7:30

Location 3 Gate (Outside) 7:30

Location 4 Playa Azul & Aquiles Serdan 8:00

Location 5 Playa Azul & Carnaval 8:00

Location 6 Carnaval & Miguel Aleman 8:30

Location 7 EXTRA Plaza Machado 9:00

Location 8 EXTRA Centro Rovers 9:00

Location 9 Gold Zone Kiosk 9:00

Location 10 EXTRA Gold Zone Rovers 9:30

I hope to have each location staffed from the time stated for at least 4 hours. I also am trying to have later shifts in Plaza Machado and the Gold Zone also.

Last season we had I think 23 ships total. This season we will have 21 BEFORE New Years Eve! Then from Jan. 1st. through the end of July, 39 more!! And there will be no summer break because we will have ships every single month, all summer long.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 14
78. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

I will be coming to Mazatlan in 2015 via a cruise ship, what do you suggest I do once I arrive?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
79. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

I just sent you a private message so we can communicate directly.

sacramento, United...
reviews: 2
80. Re: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers

Can anyone make some suggestions about popular things to do in Mazatlan for someone arriving on a cruise ship?

Reply to: Mazatlan Tourist Aide....Volunteers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan