We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back - Costa De Oro & Mayan Seagarden

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 25
Just back - Costa De Oro & Mayan Seagarden

Yes, difficult to believe, but we are back to a RAINY and wet BC week! How I miss blue sky and sunshine ... and the most amazing sunsets that you can imagine ...!

Anyway, back to business.

Stayed at the Costa De Oro for the first week – fabulous … location, location, location! But they have more than that - we had a one-bedroom on the 10th floor and had the most amazing view; just great to sit up there and sip on a margarita while enjoying it. Helpful staff, great beds (firm and fairly new), clean linen every day should you so wish, wine glasses already part of their standard house wares. Lots to do on the beach, from fabulous walks and runs for the active ones, horse riding and paragliding right on your doorstep. Their rooms are spacious and although only a bar-fridge, you have everything you need to cook your shrimps or whatever else you want to.

Second week was at the Vidafel/Seagarden – okay but not all that great. Had to fight (and 'tip' extraordinarily) to get our requested (and verbally confirmed) ocean view 2-br suite. Was somewhat unpleasant on checking in as we had to go through being shown the 'back rooms' and go back and telling them it was unacceptable. The resort is far outside the activity zone and we knew this, thinking that we can, like we have before, use the 2nd week to rest and make use of the resort facilities – this works if you are at a Grand Mayan like we were last year at Nuovo Vallarta – but the Sea Garden does not offer the same level of amenities … the pools are okay, but icy cold (in our week there, I have seen 10 people max swim in the large pool). To their credit they do have a heated pool to the one side of the resort, but it’s not that large and was usually pretty crowded. Their rooms are clean and nicely laid out, although on the small side, still good. We ended up in the main building and was happy with our room. Their resort activities, i.e. Christmas Eve Dinner was (for us) too expensive - $420pesos per person, excluding anything to drink; although it did seem to attract a lot of people judged by the noise factor until 1am on Christmas.

Enough for now – if anyone has ANY questions to ask re these two places in particular or anything that I may help with, feel free.

Quick note: Don’t go near “Gringo Lingo” restaurant, the eat-as-much-as-you-can sounds great, but no taste and no service. Do visit Pancho’s and La Riola – great places, the latter a bit more pricey and less ‘fun’ but both good food!

reviews: 1
1. Re: Just back - Costa De Oro & Mayan Seagarden

Howdy, sounds like you had a good time....I'm headed to the Costa de Oro for 2 weeks on the 26th...supposed to have a pool section room...although not sure what I'm going to end up with...I do remember staying there in 97 and after some room-swaps ended up right on the beach...it was great, but I cannot remember the numbers of those rooms at all. They are just single rooms, no 1 bed suite. Any chance you might know that section? Post any other up to date info please. Thx....dwayner in Langley