We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive...Worth it??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
reviews: 1
All Inclusive...Worth it??

Hi,

I was looking into a vacation to Mazatlan for New Years. Is an all-inclusive trip worth it? What is the cost for beer and an average meal. We were thinking of stay at Las Flores. You get a $100 food and beverage credit for a 2 week stay. Does this sound like a good deal instead of doing all-inclusive? Also, how is the weather in January? Thanks!

Mazatlán, Sin...
11. Re: All Inclusive...Worth it??

Whoops, apologies to martik777, SORRY. I just discovered that the Shrimp Bucket IS on the list, just way down out the bottom with only one vote and no accompanying note. That usually means a vote from a new tourist (who doesn't know better - LOL), NOT a local, snowbird, or experienced Mazatlan visitor.

I have partially rectified this by putting a posting on the list about overpricing at the Shrimp Bucket (the mediocre food was already noted by another poster).

Vancouver BC
reviews: 1
12. Re: All Inclusive...Worth it??

To Mazbook: Thanks for the suggestions, I have saved the Top restaurants list for my/our next visit. There was no mention of the super cheap restaurants on the 2nd floor of the central market. Maybe too primitive for some tourists?

Mazatlán, Sin...
13. Re: All Inclusive...Worth it??

martik777, Yes, the super cheap little restaurants on the 2nd floor of the mercado central would definitely be considered too primitive for the large majority of tourists AND local expats. Really only a small step up at best from the poorest of the street vendors. Personally, I would consider many of the larger, more established street vendors to be a large step up from the little mercado restaurants.

The other reason you don't see them mentioned on the list is that, in this case, cheap also translates as very, very ordinary. The normal tourist, even if eating on a budget, normally wants to know both where he can do that and also experience the wide and wonderful range of special dishes unique to this area. The large majority of the full-time or even part-time expat residents, even if on a strict budget, wants someplace that fits that description and also offers something that, even if only the ordinary local food, is a special example of that particular dish. Posole at Chayita's Cenaduria is an example that pops up in my mind right away.

If I want a really cheap breakfast why would I go to the mercado and suffer with a cup of hot water and a jar of Nescafe when I can go to any number of nice little restaurants--the one across the street from the Hotel Lerma is always a favorite of mine--and for only a couple of pesos more get real brewed coffee, not the best to be sure, but a large step up from NoEsCafe, which is what lots of expats and regulars call Nescafe, AND have a much bigger variety of eggs, chilaquiles, and other cheap breakfast offerings to choose from?

I would NOT recommend the 2nd floor of the mercado to anyone except the most financially challenged.