We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

resort beach

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sask
resort beach

Thinking of visiting Manzanillo or PV this winter. Are there any resorts that have nice beaches for both swimming and walking ?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 29
1. Re: resort beach

The resorts at Nuevo Vallarta (north of PV, still in Banderas Bay) are on a lovely long wide beach, great for walking and also boogie boarding. The RIU is one of the nicest there. The beaches right IN PV are not as nice. Dreams PV is situated in a very nice cove, nice beach but not great for walking long distances.

In Manzanillo, the Barcelo Karmina is the nicest hotel but IMO has the least nice beach. The Las Hadas has a marina and a small but nice beach. The Grand Bay up at Isla Navidad does not have a very nice beach at all, very small and man made.

The beach at the Tesoro Manzanillo is great (Playa Audiencia). It is the beach Bo Derek with her cornrows was running on for the movie '10'. It is a long narrow bay, and there is also quite good snorkeling along the rocky sides- especially the right side (facing the ocean).

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=playa+la+audiencia+manzanillo&FORM=HDRSC2

Toronto
reviews: 6
2. Re: resort beach

lvthesun,

Good synopsis by Rissask.

How long would you be staying 1 week? 2 weeks? longer?

I find it difficult to stay at an All-inclusive Resort for more than 1 week. With a large, freestanding AI resort after two days of "paradise" I feel like Patrick McGoohan in "The Prisoner".

Downtown PV (around Rio Cuale) has a number of smaller ocean front resort / hotels -- not expansive beaches but, a pleasant Malecon 3-4 km in length and lots of great restaurants. PV is "built" for tourism.

Manzanillo is distinctly different from PV. Large beaches and lots of small beaches and small towns to explore. Manzanillo has an important seaport economy supplemented by a large agricultural economy.

Both cities are very safe.

jt

sask
3. Re: resort beach

We have always done 2 weeks at AI resorts. Just too much time on a plane for me to only do one week. We have been looking at Dreams PV and Karmina Palace in Manzanillo. Both sound good so will have to do some more reading

Toronto
4. Re: resort beach

lvthesun,

Have you decided when you would be taking your holiday?

jt

sask
5. Re: resort beach

Not until first week in January . Still quite a ways off so doing lots of reading and price checking

Toronto
6. Re: resort beach

Terrific weather and you will catch (Jan 6) the Mexican children's Christmas festivities. A very enjoyable time.

Do you plan on exploring outside the resort?

One disadvantage of PV is the often oppressive "time share sales pitches" that occur. Exiting the PV airport without being set upon by sales people can be challenging--it is called the "Shark Tank".

JT

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 29
7. Re: resort beach

Yes- the timeshare sharks can be very annoying in PV- I concur. That area is great too- however it is busier and more touristy than ZLO...it depends what you like.

I should have mentioned that the Tesoro was a nice but quite basic three and a half star hotel- not on the same plane as the Karmina. You can't go wrong in choosing the Karmina or the Dreams PV- the latter DOES have a better beach, however. Karmina has (I believe?) sort of a man-made dredged pool area on the ocean. However, if you golf, there is a golf course right there, very nice.

and if you like quiet and a bit upscale, don't discount the Grand Bay Isla Navidad....very nice! And a funky town to explore next door- Barra de Navidad. One week at the Grand Bay and the other week at a hotel in Barra would be my idea of a great vacation- not for everyone, of course!

Edited: 12:47 pm, June 19, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 112
8. Re: resort beach

Add Secrets Huatulco to your research

sask
9. Re: resort beach

We had started out looking at Secrets but within a couple days it had taken a price jump making it higher than what we wanted to pay. We are very much " beach" people so Dreams is looking tempting.

10. Re: resort beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo
Recent Conversations