We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Manzanillo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 9
Safety in Manzanillo

Hi i'm thinking about taking my family to Manzanillo this fall. I haven't been there before, how safe is it there and is there anyuthing I should worry about? Thanks for any advice.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
reviews: 17
21. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

Carlos, I think you probably understand that everyone here knows that Spanish is the language of Mexico, but this isn't a forum filled with Spanish speakers, but rather, tourists interested in visiting the Manzanillo area. Challenging me on my ability to read and write Spanish is just ridiculous.

I mentioned earlier that if you had personal experience with regards to the safety of the area, you might want share it. Since you didn't, I do think it's fairly reasonable for me to assume that you don't HAVE any personal experience with the area.

Please try to remain civil. Dissenting opinions are welcome, even when they're not strictly based on fact, but harassment isn't.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
22. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

"Since you didn't, I do think it's fairly reasonable for me to assume that you don't HAVE any personal experience with the area."

I think it's safe to assume that, if he thinks he has a reason to 'warn off' potential tourists, yup!

Trolls- don't feed 'em. ;)

nw
reviews: 28
23. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

My family has been vacationing in Manzanillo since the early 70's. Never had a major problem in all those years. We keep going back and hope to for many more years.

Honestly I quit singing praises for Manzanillo. Every time I go people ask: "Aren't you afraid?" I heard there were people getting murdered in Mexico etc."

Usually these questions are from people who have never been to Mexico. I just smile and say "yeah, its horrible---we are planning a return trip next February."

If you like sunshine, warm ocean waters, cold drinks and friendly people then go.

If you are worried that the sky will fall then stay at home.

Edited: 3:50 pm, May 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 38
24. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

Manzanillo is self sufficent. It has it's own economy and is not dependant on toursim. The people who don't like it are the one's who want the para sailing, beach vendors and turquoise waters of the Gulf. Not a relaxing break from life with friendly locals and cold cervasa's. I really like like it for that reason. There are things to do, like the shopping, ATV rides or the Colima City tour, but not as much as in a tourist town, like PV or Cancun.

One thing that should be mentioned is that the Navy is based in Manzanillo because of the port. You are constanty seeing Federalies everywhere. This is one of the reason's it is so safe. Don't get us wrong - it does have it's bad areas, but what city doesn't? If you don't walk around drunk, flashing money and acting like an idiot, you will be fine.

By the way, I heard there was a murder in Flordia. Therefore I will not be going to California, it's not safe!

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
reviews: 24
25. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

Some one mentioned cruise ships not stopping in Manzanillo because it's not safe.

I think if you look it up, the cruise ships were avoiding MAZATLAN due to security concerns!

There is violence everywhere you go, like most have already said, you have to be aware no matter where

you go!

Just watching a mother's day parade in New Orleans can be dangerous!

Manzanillo, Mexico
reviews: 2
26. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

Originally cruise ships stopped docking in Manzanillo because of safety concerns in Acapolco. Along with no longer going down to Acapolco and the increased price of fuel they had no reason to come down to Manzanillo. They were doing short trips only coming down as far as Puerto Vallarta and then heading back north. For a while they were having concerns of safety in Mazatlan and were trading Mazatlan for Manzanillo to keep the same number of stops but address the concern for safety.

Carnival stated that perceived safety of Mexico AND a weak economy in Southern California is what drove their decision to pull two ships from San Diego and place them elsewhere. You can read more detailed information here: www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1175

27. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

Thinking of renting a villa on the beach in Manzanillo with small children. Is there a safety concern?

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
reviews: 24
28. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

Have you read any responses on this forum?

Alberta
reviews: 2
29. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

We spent a week at the Barcelo in Manzanillo for the first time last February. We left the resort a few times (a couple of tours and shopping) we felt very safe and totally enjoyed our week there and will go back.

Toronto
reviews: 7
30. Re: Safety in Manzanillo

My first trip to Mexico was in Feb, 2009. We stayed at an All-inclusive resort north of Manzanillo, rented a car, and did short road trips radiating inland -- total driving of about 650 miles. I returned in Nov, 2009 -- rented a bungalow for a week and drove south on Hwy 200 (Coastal Hwy) to Lazaro Cardenas in the state of Michocan. Then drove north from Manzanillo about 60 miles to a little beachside town of Punta Perula.

2010, I planned my first (of 3) trips to the area to coincide with the Easter Holiday (Semana Santa). I wanted to find out what it was about. It was wonderful. Busloads of families (3 and sometimes 4 generations) head to the beach from the inland cities, camp out, hang out, kick a soccer ball, and generally do "family" stuff. (None of the Florida -- teenage / college "Spring Break" stuff -- it is all about families.)

2011, four trips to the area, more exploration, and start researching the legal intricacies of buying property in the state of Jalisco or Colima.

2012, bought a property during 3rd trip to area.

The population of Mexico is 110 million. There are an estimated 1 million foreign nationals -mostly from the USA and Canada - living year round in Mexico. Once you venture outside the resorts, you will be impressed with the family oriented, open, and respectful nature of the good people of Jalisco and Colima. Set aside any preconceived stereotypes -- and enjoy.

Yes, it is safe.

Jim

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo