We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Manzanillo05

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
reviews: 1
To Manzanillo05

Hi Jenny,

I sent you an email yesterday, but maybe I sent it to the wrong address. I thought I would post here as well. Anyway, I got your email from a post on the tripadvisor.com website. Since you have lived down there for some time, I thought you might be able to answer a few questions for me. My 4.5 year old son, myself and my wife will be staying at the Karmina for a week at the end of April.

Can you tell me the best place to shop for souvenirs? Also, I would like to know where to go for basic day to day stuff like you would find at a supermarket or Walmart. My son is a picky eater and so am I for that matter, so I might need to go get some snacks for him or me. We will pack some, but I don't want to take the world with us.

I'm trying to figure out what I should bring for money. Just American dollars or a combination of traveler's cheques and cash. Should I bring any Pesos or just exchange down there if necessary? I assume American dollars should work just fine, please advise.

Any other things to do or see in Manzanillo away from Karmina? We may need some diversions during the week away from Karmina. Also, any public beaches you would recommend we go to while we are there.

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention to this post. Take care and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Shawn

Calgary,Ab Canada
reviews: 57
1. Re: To Manzanillo05

Hi Shawn

We just returned from Club Maeva. We went to the Commercial Mall in Manzanillo with my neice and there was a big grocery type Walmart kinda store there which you get stuff for your son.

Even though from Canada we bought Am Express US$$ Trav cheques and also brought Peso's. Either is welcomed at the Markets and Restaurants 10 peso=1 US$ it was easy conversion. Exchange Tr.chqs at hotel 50US$ = 500 peso (or bank in Manzanillo where you get better rate I got 530 Peso's for a $50. Trchq) you will want cash readily available. I had a hard time cashing a Tr cheq at a store.

We went to Barra De Navidad, about 1 hr bus ride 27Peso's each(in air conditioned bus)for the day and they had an excellent market and we ate at Pancho's which had Awesome shrimp (in garlic butter OR Deep Fried) It is right on a public Beach which your son could enjoy.

my e-mail nlbirch@hotmail.com if you have other questions

Denver, CO
2. Re: To Manzanillo05

Thanks for the useful info Nancy. Take care.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 10
3. Re: To Manzanillo05

I would also suggest a trip to the Turtle Sanctuary in Cuyutlan and your son might have the chance to release a turtle into the ocean. They also have a boat tour through the lagoon which is fun and you see lots of birds. I just went with my 10 year old son and he enjoyed it.

For shopping there are two big stores, Soriana and Commerciale, which have everything that you need and more. From Karmina, it is only 5-10 minutes by taxi.

For money, you can use the ATMs, I think there is even one at Karmina, to get money (Pesos) really easily and you can use credit cards at most restaurants. I personally would not bother with travelers checks as it is a nuisance to change them. One of the only places you can do that is at the money exchange in the Commerciale mall. Probably at the hotel also but more expensive in exchange rates!

Beaches, spend some time at Playa de la Audencia, a beautiful cove, where you can rent an umbrella, chairs and a small table (not fancy) for $8 for a day. They will even bring drinks and food to you if you want.

Have fun!

Katrine

Santiago/ New...
4. Re: To Manzanillo05

Hi Shawn,

Sorry it took me a while to reply, but I have my hands full these days, with a 6 week old and a 21 months old! I didn't receive your email.

It looks like the other posters have covered everything for you already.

Your best bet is to bring your son's favorite snacks with you. It's hard to get the same things from back home down there. Like if you want chips, besides plain, almost all have somesort of chili on them. You can get him fruits and veggies for snacks with no problem, or cookies but not any like Arrowroots.

Let me know what types of foods you'd be looking for down there and I can tell you if I have seen them.

For the money exchange I am not sure what the current rate is because I came back to Canada to have the baby so I have been out of ZLO since december. But I'll be back soon, beginning of May!!! :)

But the best rate I have ever seen is in the little "mall" close to your hotel, called Plaza Manzanillo. Their is a money exchange store in there and they have the best rates.

When I or my family travels down we usually just bring cash, for us Canadian but for you American, if you feel more comfortable then travelers checks are great too. I also have used my bank card all over down there and never have a problem.

Also in there is the Comercial Mexicana, which has all the groceries and things you may need. It's like a mini walmart.

The bigger one is a bit further down the road and that one is Soriana.

For souvieners, I'd say that the little shops in Santiago are great. You just need to be able to wander the streets a bit. The one store we love is called Primavera, it's in Santiago. I can't for the life of me remember the other one that we like, but this one isn't in Santiago, it is by the Electrical plant just off the main intersection for Las Hadas and Tesoro. I'll ask my husband to look on his way home from work.

And then their are 3 smaller flea markets accross the street from Club Maeva and they have great stuff, all the T-shirts, pottery, silver, etc.... you can find there.

Well I hope you have an awesome trip down!

Take care,

Jenny

Denver, CO
5. Re: To Manzanillo05

Thanks for the info Katrine.

Denver, CO
6. Re: To Manzanillo05

Thanks for the reply Jenny. You do have your hands full. Hope all is well. Take care.

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo