We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

for teiger

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 2
for teiger

HI Teiger,

Do the bars really close at 5:00?? How about n/a beer??

Check out the best rooms to request/gardenview.

Is it crowded this week.

Do you know of any other changes they are making? We will be there in 3 weeks today.

Is the weather also real humid?

Thanks! HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

Spokane
reviews: 24
1. Re: for teiger

Hi lindaeb. Perhaps I can answer some of your questions. We were there Jan 9th for a week. They do not have n/a beer. You can ask for virgin drinks, however have to be careful with these too as my husband ordered one and it had alcohol. If you want to make sure to get a n/a drink then you should go directly to the bar and watch them make the drink. I also do not remember seeing any n/a beer at stores either. If you really want some you should bring it with you in your carry on bag.

The bars are open, not sure until when but they were open later than we were awake. They serve out of several bars. The bar in the lobby has certain hours, evening entertainment and a quieter atmosphere. The disco does not open till about 10pm and serves as the fancy resturant until then. Regardless there are several eating and drinking options open at any given time and there is also room service if you want a drink. Options for beer are light and dark. Both taste fine. In the fine dining resturant, which you can use anytime you want for lunch and only once or twice for dinner they serve several different types of beer but not non alcoholic.

During our stay I was told that the resort was owned by someone in Texas and a Mexican.

You should check to see if there is a mexican holiday, I think they have one at easter in which case the hotel will be at capacity. I thought that the mexican tourists were actually the nicest and least crazy group of tourists there. Mostly mexican families, kids, parents, grandparents on holiday. Durnig the week, the crowd was noticablly less and during the weekend the hotel was filled to capacity and the pools were much more crowded but it never felt like too much.

Re the weather: it was very warm from the time we woke up until we went to sleep. It was never unbearable but walking barefoot can be tricky on the sand. The ocean was like bath water and actually much warmer than the pools. Most of the pools are cold enough that they are actually refreshing. We found that we needed to get into the water about every half hour to stay cool enough. There is also plenty of unbrellas and shady areas if you wish to be out of direct sun but need to get down to the pools and put a magazine and towel on a chair early if you want a good spot. The air works fine in the room and we usually took a break in the afternoon to get out of the heat and shower up.

We stayed in an ocean view unit on the sixth floor. We had a corner unit, which the staff told us was one of the better views, but to be honest I did not see any difference. To me it looked like most rooms 4th floor and up have a good view. In some of the reviews I read before my visit I saw complaints about the rooms. Our room had new furniture, bedding, was very tastefully decorated and clean. Ocean view was nice because you can sit on the patio, and look out over the resort and water, and I don't think it cost much more. If the hotel is filled to capacity you'll want to switch to ocean view prior to your stay as your odds of being upgraded upon arrival are probably less not great. We booked directly through their website and I think my husband asked specifically that we have a good view and nice room. The 1-800 # that he called to book the room was actually a call to Canada vs. Mexico but it was a number he got from email or their website. Good luck. I'm sure that whatever room you get it will be just fine. Some people we met had a garden view and loved it because they could walk right out onto the grounds and pool.

Brainerd, MN
reviews: 39
2. Re: for teiger

Hi - I will update Lindab's post as we just arrived back last night. The hotel was sold the weekend of March 18th to the Barcelo chain. They are no longer an independent hotel. There are alot of changes being made and they were really noticable from Saturday when we arrived to Monday when their changes took affect.

There is no longer 24 hour a day free room service. It costs you 78 peso's to have it delivered to your room. The food is free but you pay for the delivery. A family from Toronto was there for 2 weeks - 1 under the old ownership and 1 under Barcelo's and you could see the difference. They are tightening up the "ship" - less staff and are less lenient. The staff didn't seem to be too happy about it.

The lobby bar is open until 11:00 pm at night. The bar down by the pool/beach area closes after the show - around 10:30. Then the only place to get a drink after 11:00 is the disco. Room service will deliver beers only - in a glass - no bottle beer - now for 78 pesos! However on our last night they did put 4 cans of Sol beer in our fridge. I did not see any n/a beer - anywhere. I would advise bringing your own and putting it in the fridge. You can request diet pepsi if you leave a note for the maid.

When we arrived they already had us assigned a room number. We were in 6218 oceanview. They all were nice - I don't know anything about the garden view. However, the hotel was completely booked last week and I don't think you really have a choice on which room to request. You get what you get.

The weather was HOT!! Maybe I'm getting older but it was in the mid to high 80's everyday. Sitting on our balcony yesterday morning before we left only lasted a half hour. The water in the pool is cooler as it's not heated but that's ok. You need it to cool your body temperature down. The waiter's were nice and friendly at the pool. We would tip them every morning and only had to wait for cocktails a couple times - which was ok!!

One night the weather was really humid. We ate at the Carioca at 7:30 and walking back from dinner it got really humid. We were sitting in the lobby finishing our cocktails at 11:30 when there was a small earthquake. In the lobby it just felt like a jet taking off close but in the rooms people said they felt it pretty good and things were shaking. They said they hadn't had that since 1995. I wasn't too worried about it and there were no after shock tremors. It was kind of neat actually!

The food was surprisingly good. Nothing gourmet except at Cariocha and LaTrattoria (which is being closed and renovated-not sure how that is all going to work out). Habenero's was ok to put it nicely. There was always something good to eat - too much to eat actually!!

The only drawback for my husband and I is that the beach next to the hotel is not for walking on. Too sloped and the sand is hot and course. We tried and only made it a quarter mile. We didn't make it down to the beach by Club Maeva which we were told was great and looked awesome.

Overall, we had a nice trip. It is a very family oriented property with kids everywhere. In hindsight had I known that my husband and I would have went somewhere more adult oriented. It was our year to go without kids and I ended up missing ours too much!

Hope this helps!! Just remember - your trip is only as good as you make it. Our luggage was lost and we packed a change of clothes, swimsuits and toiletries in our carry-on's. Some people with lost luggage made a bid deal out of it - just keep in mind you can't change it - just enjoy it and relax!! Our luggage came Sunday night and everything was fine!

Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo