We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 60
Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Hello!

My husband and I are in Huatulco now (staying at Secrets) and are looking for some off the beaten path type things to do. We've already gone into La Crucecita and done many of the things that were recommended in previous posts (which were all great!)...now just looking for some unique things----activities, bars, restaurants, etc. We went to a cool little dive bar El Baraquito in La Crucecita...which was totally random & almost looked a little seedy, but was totally fine. We would like to try and stumble upon some other places like this. Are there other towns close by to explore? What is Santa Cruz like? I think there is another town called Santa Maria as well? Do these places have enough to do for an entire evening?

Thanks for your help...everyone's replies from.last time were very helpful! :)

Huatulco, Mexico
reviews: 9
1. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

I suggest that you get out on the ocean

My opinion the best way to do is to take Hurricane Divers 7 bay snorkel tour

Fantastic day that includes Paulines gourmet meal and snacks

Coffee plantation tour always wonderful

Wayne Overby

Villa Sol y Mar

(House of the Sun & Sea)

Huatulco, Mexico
reviews: 10
2. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Santa Maria is the Capital of Huatulco. The Church across from the Municipal building is beautiful. Not much tourist shopping but lots of little eateries. 125 pesos by cab from La C. or there is a regular bus at the corner of Carrizal and Guamaquil.(opposite corner from the mall.)

Not sure about bars. Won't see too mant tourists there either.

Vancouver Island...
3. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Santa Cruz is where the cruise ship terminal is located. Tiny town, with some nice shops, restaurants, and a large marina. Nice to stroll around and grab a meal on the beach. Worth a look.

Barrie, Canada
4. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Walk down the "jungle path" off the road to Playa Violin and spend the day there.

With any luck, you may have the place all to yourselves!

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 152
5. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Read "What's west of the airport" in top questions on this page and consider a beach lunch at a Zipolite restaurant.

victoria, bc
reviews: 4
6. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

If your looking for a break from the beach for a day, I'd suggest heading up to Hagia Sofia's.. simply incredible and Armando is the most gracious host.

oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 69
7. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Do not miss the ruin, museum and walk up to the precipice overlooking the ocean, all in the same complex. Yes perhaps 90% of AI visitors to Huatulco want 85% beach and associated AI stuff, and 15% culture (only an opinion based on looking at the forum on a daily basis), but it's really a shame that more don't take a walk on the wild side and visit the ruin and museum ... it's so close and offers a tiny little taste of what the state's central valleys have to offer.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

chicago
reviews: 49
8. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

And you don't have to spend all day there. We visited it two years ago when they first opened, did the tour ourselves and hiked up to the lookout. That was worth the price of admission!

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 2
9. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

Spent a beautiful morning with Marcos Lopez at Copalita Eco-Archaeological Park. He then took us to a great little roadside restaurant called El Chacal for lunch across from the town of Copalita. Then we went to the beach at En Barra de la Cruz.

He also stopped at a roadside stand and got us a bottle of "Tepache", a fermented pineapple drink. Tasty treat!

Many of the out of the way places you might not find without a guide. We certainly had a gem that day, RIP Marcos.

Edited: 4:58 pm, April 24, 2013
oaxaca
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
reviews: 69
10. Re: Off the beaten path in Huatulco?

FYI, the archaeological site has pretty good signage as I recall, so I wouldn't worry too much about having a guide. A couple of hours at the whole complex should do it. I don't specifically recall if the signage is bilingual, but my wife and I both seem to recall that it is. If not, in any event there was someone there who offered to show us around. Glad that a couple of posters agree that it's worth the visit ... begins to restore my faith in humanity.

Alvin Starkman - Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
More Huatulco Topics