We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A note on safety in Acapulco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Acapulco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bryn Mawr...
reviews: 57
A note on safety in Acapulco

Just want to say, Last Tuesday night as me and my wife were walking the Costera about 11:00pm we both said ,would it be nice if we could do this at home and feel this at ease. Trip report will follow when I get over of shock of this stinking cold weather,

31 replies to this topic
Ontario
reviews: 9
1. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

LOL. You are so right, Hank. Felt safer there than driving for coffee this morning at home. 100 car pile up between here and Toronto. Worst part about Acapulco was the line up for breakfast at the Zocalo!

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
reviews: 115
2. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

Agreed Hank but at least the snow is gone!! I touched down 30 min ago!! 351 !!

Louisiana
reviews: 14
3. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

LOL truck you and the truckettes got back just a few hours after I did and left 2 days later with twice as far to go. And incidentally, Hank and snork, I felt it safer to lock the car doors while driving though an iffy neighborhood to pick up one of my foster doggies from the sitter, which is a thought that never occurred to me even once in Aca.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
reviews: 115
4. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

Many had horrible flights this year I thinks Andy's was the worst especially since it was going to Aca when you can't wait to arrive.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
reviews: 22
5. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

Safety for us wasn't an issue either. We enjoyed ourselves every moment.

Although, several times I was warned not to leave my Hotel after 7 PM.

We did witness a scuffle between a group of teens. A teen ran after another teen a punched him in the side of the head.

What impressed me was, a older guy that noticed it, got up from his bus stop bench and ran after them, and stopped the altercation .

I was impressed, stood and watched his belongings, then thanked him for his bravery, protecting the teen and also everyone around the situation.

Acapulco is on the mend, but HONESTLY, (This post will probably be removed, because it's an honest one.) you still need to remember Acapulco has had problems and still does. It'll be a few years before things are back to, as I'd like to say, normal!

BTW, I don't feel unsafe where I live. We have a Police department that I trust calling, in any emergency!

6. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:59 am, February 28, 2014

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
7. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

Actually I'd rather not get into this, and let it be as it is.

Please don't be condescending about the subject, we all know there are issues.

The best we can do is be optimistic and get the Paradise we Love up and booming again.

Louisiana
reviews: 14
8. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

Not being condescending at all, Joy, just curious as to who would tell anyone to not go anywhere after 7 p.m. in Acapulco. And would also like to know what issues there have been regarding tourists, because I honestly know of none. Seriously.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 9
9. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

The advice not to go out of your hotels is commonplace amongst many hotels throughout Mexican resort areas (especially in the Cancun area) - if you're staying inside your hotel guess where you're going to be having dinner and drinks?? It's not rocket science........

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
10. Re: A note on safety in Acapulco

Well, it wasn't our Hotel Staff that gave us that information. It was a restaurant manager, and many of our friends.

We never once had dinner at our Hotel, we love to venture out.

Also, unfortunately we saw several police and two (blonde) tourists out side of a bank. Inquired about the incident that happened at 10 AM, near the bank next to the Emporio Hotel.

They had been robbed, as they exited the Bank.

It wasn't comforting, but every day after that we noticed several police guards in that area.

I'm not trying to say that Acapulco is totally unsafe. But when someone asks, we all need to be honest and let them know they should be aware of their surroundings at all times.

I would hate to see TA become liable for a law suit, while telling anyone that any resort town is totally safe, then to have something happen.

Reply to: A note on safety in Acapulco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted