We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Moving to Saltillo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Saltillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
Moving to Saltillo

My family may be moving to Saltillo in April. I am going there for the first time next week. I have 2 daughters, a 13 year old and a 3 month old. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding neighborhoods to live in, schools for my 13 year old, as well as things to make sure we see while we're down there?

Also, any feedback regarding living in Saltillo, safety, weather, etc. would be great.

Thanks,

Karen

Kitchener ON
1. Re: Moving to Saltillo

Hi Karen, I have no advise but am in a similar situation as my husband is contemplating a job in Saltillo. We have 3 young children 3,6,9 who will also need schooling. Are you planning on living there long term? Right now we are weighing pros and cons of such a move. It's a tough decision!!! We will probably be heading down in a few weeks to have a look around. Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks, sandra

Dearborn, MI
reviews: 1
2. Re: Moving to Saltillo

I might also be in the same situation as you both will be. My husband is being asked to reloate for his job there. My sons are 11 and 15, so tough to know if we should stay or go

Please let me know if you found any information on th schooling there

Thanks!

United States
reviews: 17
3. Re: Moving to Saltillo

Karen: I spent 8 days in Saltillo in late February, my first time there since the mid-1950s. It is a lovely city, cultural, clean, friendly. I think you will be happy there. In fact, I'd like to keep in touch if you do go there because I want to retire there in December and build a green house. Being from Oregon, you know I mean energy-self-sufficient, attuned to the local environment, etc. Let me know what happened with you.

Kitchener ON
4. Re: Moving to Saltillo

My Husband and I just spent 5 days in Saltillo researching everything from schools to housing to grocery stores! It is a very nice, safe secure city with lots of things to see and do. We toured 2 private primary schools as our children are young and were very impressed with them both. In terms of their curriculums, they teach to a very high standard, probably better than most public schools in either Canada or the States. There are so many options and we only saw 2. Private health care is readily available and is also very good. We met another expat family who lives there. They have lived in both gated and non gated communities and have never had a problem with security. Obviously you still have to use common sense and not go out on your own at night in questionable parts of town. I would move to Saltillo though before I would go to some cities in the U.S.!! In terms of the cost of living I would say it is about the same. Groceries are cheaper, utilities more expensive, housing comperable. You also have to take into account private schooling which is fairly expensive if you are currently in the public system. Hope this helps!

Oshawa
5. Re: Moving to Saltillo

Hi Karen, I live in Saltillo (expat Canadian) and have been here since last August. I have a three-year old, let me know if you have any questions in particular you would like answered. We enjoy living in Saltillo and have found it to be friendly and safe.

United States
reviews: 17
6. Re: Moving to Saltillo

Karen; I am not certain that you are the Karen who wrote, giving me phone numbers of the real estate agent that you used. I'm still in the US and will be until about the end of the year. Do you have another way of reaching the agent (email's ideal; snail mail could work)?

Have you been pleased since you got there? I want to know everything!

MS
7. Re: Moving to Saltillo

My family may be moving to Saltillo in the near future. We will be relocating because of my husband's job. I have been surfing the net to find out as much information as possible. I have never been to Mexico. We have 3 children, ages 8, 13, & 16. I would like to know as much information as possbile about neighborhoods, schools, churches, etc. Karen, I noticed that you were going to move in April. How do you like it? Can you give me any information? We are thinking private school for our children. Any feedback at all about everything in Saltillo would be appreciated. I just want to talk to someone that is living there and can give me information based on your experience.

Thanks,

Lynn

Kitchener ON
8. Re: Moving to Saltillo

Hi Lynn, If you have never been to Mexico I would STRONGLY advise a trip to Saltillo before you uproot your whole family. My husband and I went in February and toured everything from schools to houses to grocery stores. Private schools are really your only options for your children. We are still considering a move and really loved Saltillo but I would not advise going there without seeing it. It is different from the States or Canada and if you don't speak spanish you should start learning now!! I've heard too many sad stories of families splitting up because they didn't go into this type of move with clear knowledge and expectations.

Good luck, Sandra

NC
9. Re: Moving to Saltillo

Hi Ladies,

My Husband and I are also possible future Saltillo expats. We are looking forward to living in Mexico again. We lived in Toluca with our daughters from 1998-2000 we had a wonderful time. Both of our daughters,then 15 and 12 went to the American school in Mexico city, They also would like to return with us. Only this time I think I'll take my granddaughter,(and leave my daughter with her husband,and the other in college)sounds like fun to me. Is anyone there yet,and does anyone need anything from the States? My husband will be visiting 11-11-08 to check it out.Hope to see you soon.

Lost in Mexico and loving it again.

detroit
reviews: 8
10. Re: Moving to Saltillo

My wife and I and our 5 children are in exactly the same situation. There is little info available on the web that is useful. Help!!! Any and all info needed - the more details the better. Grateful in advance...

Get answers to your questions about Saltillo