We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money? Help!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Monterrey hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
reviews: 46
How much money? Help!

I'm going to Monterrey on business for a day and a half. How much pesos should I take? I don't know how much things cost over there, whether it's expensive or not, etc. I know it's $1 for approx. 10 pesos. Any idea how much a meal costs, little souvenirs, etc.? Thank you!

Monterrey
1. Re: How much money? Help!

I would recommend to you to carry a debit or credit card. So, you can pay meals and souvenirs with them, or get cash from an ATM.

Price for food or souvenirs depends on where you buy them: from really cheap things to very pricey things.

Regards.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
2. Re: How much money? Help!

do you have an atm card? if so, get pesos in monterrey from a bank atm or at the airport. credit cards and visa check cards can also be used in restaurants and stores. you don't need to get pesos before you go. meal costs will be a litle less than atlanta depending on where you eat.

Houston
reviews: 11
3. Re: How much money? Help!

Depends on what you plan to do, what kinds of hotels and restaurants you patronize, how nice your souvenirs are, etc., etc. Here's a few examples of what I pay for things in Monterrey:

A taxi from downtown to el Valle should run you about 50 pesos or so. From the airport to downtown will run about 200 pesos...going the other way is usually 20-40 pesos cheaper.

A beer will probably run you 15 pesos in a restaurant. Maybe 10 if you eat in "rustic" places. Maybe 20 or more if you go for a better beer or eat in better restaurants.

Tickets to a bullfight might be pricey. You might see the "cheap seats" advertised for 100 pesos, but good seats will be more like 300 pesos and the most desirable seats in the house (lowest level in the sombra) might be 900 pesos.

Admission to a downtown museum is likely to be 30 pesos...mas o menos. An adult plus a kid will get into Planetario Alfa for about 85 pesos (including IMAX show).

Breakfast at Sanborns or VIPS might run around 70 pesos.

Gorditas at Dona Tota make a great lunch. They're like 9 pesos each, and I eat about 4 or 5 for a meal.

I like nice restaurants for dinner, and there's a ton of 'em in Monterrey. Dinner for two in an upscale Italian restaurant like Iannilli's almost never costs me more than 500 pesos, including drinks. Tapas for two in the La Cabana restaurant (near Paseo de Santa Lucia) ran me 400 pesos --- but it was trendy, fun, and delicious. A kebab platter for two in the Greek restaurant directly behind the Catedral cost me 395 pesos (for 2)...with beers, I was still out the door for about 500 pesos.

For souvenirs, you can pick up a bag of Glorias for 50 pesos or perhaps T-shirts for as little as 50 pesos or as much as 150, depending on quality, where you buy, etc. A couple weeks ago, I bought a couple of ceramic talavera spoon holders to give friends back home: they were 80 pesos each from the woman selling the better artesanias in the first booth on the left side as you enter the Artesania Mercado on Morelos (at the Howard Johnson).

Using an ATM at the Banorte cost me 7.50 pesos in fees (~70 cents), which makes it CHEAPER for me to use than using an ATM in the U.S. that's not owned by my bank.

Be aware that most Visa and MasterCard transactions will incur additional foriegn exchange fees that are sometimes masked as "adjustments" or elevated exchange rates. This may also apply to Visa-logo debit or cash cards, but I'm not sure. Using credit cards was ONCE UPON A TIME a good way to get advantageous exchange rates...that is no longer true...today, you are best off withdrawing money via an ATM.

Hope this helps.

Mark

4. Re: How much money? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 14, 2009