We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Most Beautiful Place in the World...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Todos Santos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
The Most Beautiful Place in the World...

when my husband and I parked our car at La Cachora beach and crested the sand dunes, I knew I had seen the most beautiful site on earth. I started swearing and shouting and running around, completely overwhelmed - and there was no one to look at me funny as we had the whole beach to ourselves. Sunset streaked the horizon and we saw 3 BREACHES of humpback whales! Full breaches, not just tail flukes. Now I've worked in Thailand, lived in the UK, kayaked the San Juan Islands (during which the entire J pod of orcas swam under my kayak), backpacked all over Europe, lived in Marin & Los Angeles in California, Whale watched in Santa Barbara, White Water Rafted in Colorado, and most recently learned to SCUBA dive in La Paz, and I've never seen a whale breach before, much less 3 times in 5 minutes.

And to think we almost missed it! We lingered at Tres Gallinas restaurant for 2 hours because it was the best Italian food my husband and I had ever tasted. Well, actually, my husband said it was his favorite restaurant, Italian or otherwise, in the world. The proprietors were a husband and wife team from the Lake District in Northern Italy and the wife made everything from scratch; and it was all better than I even remembered it being in Italy! We would have never chosen an italian place in Mexico, but we just wanted to sit. Thank goodness theirs was the door in front of us at that moment! It was pricier than we had intended, but worth every penny. We sat on their upper level and had a view of the ocean.

Then there was shopping to do, but our SCUBA instructor told us that if nothing else, we had to sit on the beach in Todos Santos and look for whales. Thank goodness we did! To go to Todos Santos and not brave the dirt roads to get to the beach is like going to Ireland and not setting foot in a pub. I suspect that someone who had a negative experience in Todos Santos unfortunately missed it. After a breathtaking sunset/whale/beach experience, darkness forced us back to our car. We visited the shops, which didn't close until 7, and some 8, and I did a quick spree. Our day ended at a lovely, cheap, outdoor taco stand that was full of locals. Then we headed back to La Paz. It was the most perfect day I have had aside from my wedding, and it all began with our SCUBA instructor telling us the ports were closed in La Paz due to wind. Who knew that missing SCUBA diving could be so glorious?

san diego
1. Re: The Most Beautiful Place in the World...

I know just what you mean!! You stumbled into my favorite spot!

This beach is sooo glorious! The whales are famous at that beach. The best time of the year to see them is Jan. & Feb. I was there for a week in Feb. and it was amazing how many whales you could watch on the La Cachora beach. Not just way out in the water they were right onshore!! It was amazing. One day we were there for the sunrise and the show was so amazing that we stayed most of the day. The whales just kept playing all day.

Next time try staying at Alegria or Las Puertas. They are both within 5 minutes walk of the beach and at night you can hear the waves. The best I've ever slept !! You can watch the sunrise on the beach and see the whales play then come back for sunset and watch the whales play again.!!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
2. Re: The Most Beautiful Place in the World...

It is indeed a paradise! So glad you enjoyed it!

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 9
3. Re: The Most Beautiful Place in the World...

Where exactly is La Cachora beach and what time of year were you there? I am going to TS in Late March.

4. Re: The Most Beautiful Place in the World...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 17, 2009