We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tijuana for Christmas

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tijuana for Christmas

My friends/family live in TJ and asked me if I'd like to come for Christmas this year. (Which I would love to go)

I've done a lot of reading myself, and talked to them about it and I'm sure it's safe. My mom (and family here) is terrified about me going, even after I've shown her all those things, and talked to them as well. (My family here is against me going, and my mom wants me to go, but she's concerned that if something were to happen to me, it'd be her fault.)

I'll be 16 when I go, and I won't be alone either; they will pick me up at the San Diego airport.

So... Would it be safe to go for Christmas ? Thank you in advance. ^^

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
1. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

Obviously, you and your family have to do what makes you comfortable; it's no vacation if you are worrying.

That said, you might want to look at this site: http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html

Utilize the list on the left and compare U.S. cities, other international destinations, incidence of violent crime, etc.

2. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

Thank you very much :)!

Mi Wuk Village...
3. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

At 16 you may need a letter...notarized from your parents giving you permission to travel with another relative. That is for crossing. Dangerous? Is this one of those drug cartels are murdering everyone questions? Don't deal in large quantities of drugs. They don't like the competition. Other than that it is safe.

San Diego
4. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

Moms and families of teenagers don't get enough credit for knowing what is safe for their children. People make it to adulthood by making mistakes and make it to old age by making more mistakes; but at least we all learn from our mistakes so we don't repeat them.

If they don't feel it is safe for you, and they know you better than anybody else; It is best to use their six sense. As people grow older they learn just how correct A parents six sense is. So I agree with your parents. But not for the reasons that are often talked about in the Media, which I think is overblown, sometimes hypocritical, and avoidable; But, rather because of Mom's six sense.

There are many things that someone can do to get into trouble. Being in a different country means they don't handle things the way an American would expect. What is normal for somebody 16 in the US may be something that gets you in trouble in Mexico. There are situations that one may need to know how to deal with in Mexico that never happen in the US, or how it is handled in the US is completely different. I can not be very specific because I don't know what is normal for you.

I have a nephew who is older than you and its not safe for him because, 1> he has an attitude that if questioned by the police does not know how to control it and pisses people off. 2> He always thinks he is right when driving. 3> He is likely to be tempted by girls and or alcohol and get himself in trouble. 4> He does not accept that people judge other people by appearance and could get himself incorrectly profiled. 5> if he did get in an accident he would never except an unfair situation of him being blamed even if it meant he could walk away instead of going to court. 6> He thinks the world is fair! if he thinks the person that has control is wrong he will argue, or try to change that person's mind instead of accepting it, (people with power don't respond well to that type of behavior, which is OK in his home) ... I could go on,

You must have your parents, both, permission to travel in Mexico. If you where going with mom then dad needs to make a notarized letter for you to go with mom. If you want your friend to talk to your mom and dad, I would think that would be a good idea, although it may reinforce that the answer is no, it is the right thing to do. If your friend knows your parents do not want you to go and is inviting you anyways, I would question the friendship because doing that is ultimately leading to problems and regrets.

San Diego
5. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

You would likely have a better Christmas at a place like San Quintin anyways. Tijuana is a city. San Quintin is a community which has surfing, watersports, exploration, etc. Tijuana is not the first pick or even top ten pick for Christmas vacations. If you wanted to see another country Tijuana does not represent the way most people in Mexico live, anymore than Los Angeles represents the way most people in the US live.

San Diego...
reviews: 25
6. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

Even at 16, you'll be safe. Dont wander around alone, where ever you go, make sure you go with your family, you'll be fine. Besides, if you have any cousins you're age who live there and who know where to hang out and have a good time you'll enjoy it.

I'd recommend Pasaje Rodriguez on a friday night would be fun for a 16 year old. Its filled with art galleries and coffee shop, good vibe, fun. ...etc. Anyways, if your Fam lives there, they'll know all the spots.

7. Re: Tijuana for Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 15, 2014