We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it really safe?

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentuck
Is it really safe?

I am about to take my first trip to Tijuana and all I am hearing is how dangerous. I will be going with a group of co-workers - men and women. My husband thinks because I am a blonde with light skin that someone will snatch me up and take off with me. Should I be nervous? Any advice from any "Seasoned" Tijuana travelers?

Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 7
1. Re: Is it really safe?

You will be fine if you stick to the main areas. My boyfriend and I go once every few months for beer and tacos and have never had a problem. For Ave. Revolucion you can walk or take a cab. The walk to Ave. Revolucion is easy with bars and shopping along the way. Ave. Revolucion is probably the more well know tourist area. There is also the Zona Rio for this area take a cab. The Zona Rio has a mall, cafes, and coffee shops - since I can get that at home I go with Revolucion.

Should you decide to get a cab stick with the yellow cabs and set a price before you get in. In our experience the blue cabs drop you off several blocks from the boarder, but the yellows drop you off right there.

Don't be afraid to eat the food and drink lots of beer. Cheers!

San Diego...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Is it really safe?

It's amazing to me that this stereotype of Tijuana still exists. I live in San Diego, have most of my life, and spend most of my 7 weeks of vacation time south of the border. I have 3 kids, teens to early 20s, who love to travel there with me. But Tijuana? I would very strongly suggest you head a little further south to Puerto Nuevo if you're just going down for an afternoon or evening. My suggestion has nothing to do with safety, but rather a better experience overall. Puerto Nuevo is about 40 minutes south of the crossing on the toll road. Immediately after crossing follow the signs to Rosarito (about two minutes after you cross) and the road will take you around TJ, parallel to the border fence. It's a fabulous drive along the coast! You'll go through 2 toll booths (usually about $2.35 per car) then take the Puerto Nuevo exit after you pass through the town of Rosarito. It's packed with great lobster restaurants, strolling mariachis, shopping, etc. And, it's safe! Toll road all the way down and back with the Green Angels patrolling the whole way. They're government employees who help those whose vehicles have broken down or whatever. Plus. my Cingular service works there, altho it switches over to "MX 020". Try it; if you're in a group you'll have a blast. And you might want to go to Ortega's for dinner. End of the one-way street into Puerto Nuevo, second restaurant from the end on the right side, upstairs. John

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Is it really safe?

Look at my post "Warning about Tijuana!".

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 52
4. Re: Is it really safe?

Go during the daytime, during the week, and stick to the Revolucion are as well as the Zona Rio section and you will be fine.....I would advise against going there late at night...just use common sense and try to blend in (i.e try not to wear the hat with the US flag, the Tommy Hilfiger shirt with the US flag, etc--in other words, save patriotism for when you are back home in your own country, try not to flaunt the shiny gold Rolex, leave the Jimmy Choo's at home etc). Been there 100+ times and never had a problem.