We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 3
Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

We go on a lot of cruises that go to Cozumel or Playa del Mar and there are ALWAYS people who eat off the ship and end up sick for days afterwards. My husband refuses to eat ANYTHING off the ship but I would like to visit Tijuana when we're in San Diego in March and I would love to try the local food. Any help will be appreciated.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 47
1. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

It is safe. Tijuana has excelleng high-end restaurants and marvelous taco stands--Yaqui's is, in my opinion, one of the best of the taco stands. We live in Rosarito Beach (30 miles south of Tijuana) most of the year, and we eat out a lot. I have never been sick in the 12 years we've owned in Mexico.

You've got mail--upper right hand of this screen.

Edited: 7:04 pm, January 06, 2012
Tampa, Florida
2. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

Thank you!!

Tampa, Florida
3. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

Any suggestions for things to do in Tijuana (on a day trip) that would appeal to a family of 5 including 3 teenagers?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
4. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

I just sent you a message--top right hand side of the screen.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
5. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

The picture by my name is our view. The beaches could please anyone I think, and simply driving along the coast and stopping at a good restaurant or two with maybe a little shopping makes a pretty good day.

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
6. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

Hola Pstreet1,

Where is the "Yaqui" taco stand located at?

Gracias!

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
7. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

Our Yaqui's stop is the one in Rosarito, the original one, but he now has one open in Tijuana. There are some people using his name in Ensenada, and even at another spot in Rosarito. I don't know if there are immatators in Tijuana, but I do know that this one is owned by the same man--he has the sign up on the wall in Rosarito (along with a notice about the immators in Ensenada and Rosarito). Anyway, in Tijuana, it's between Calle Miraflores and Blvd. Fundadores. There is a diagonal, one way street between Miraflores and Fundadores. Yaqui's is right next to the English Catholic Church.

Our favorite is the perone--the melted cheese really makes the whole experience even better.

NJ
reviews: 25
8. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

I visited TJ recently and I ate salad and never got sick. I go to Mexico often and it's very rare that I get a stomach bug. If you like upscale dining, then you HAVE to try La Mission 19. It was amazing.

If you go to the seedy touristy area of PV, you HAVE to try Caesars, home of the original Caesar salad. It's like walking into 1940....Very classy nice place with very good food and menu.

Also, though I didn't try tacos this time around, I've always found reputable Taco joints through out Mexico to be superior and never got sick.

tijuana, Mexico
reviews: 2
9. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

Go to CECUT, It's our cultural center near the border. You can't miss it, it has a huge tan colored globe where they show IMAX movies in a one of a kind 180 degree screen; on the weekends they have a showings in english. There is also a very good museum on the history of Tijuana & Baja.

I would recomend any seafood restaurant or taco stand. If you see a crowd of people it means it's good. For seafood try "Cevicheria La Corriente" on 6th street near Revolucion. For tacos, my favorite are "Tacos Frank" near CECUT.

If you have any more questions feel free to message me.

10. Re: Is it safe to eat "over the border?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, January 20, 2013