We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
reviews: 6
is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

we are staying in San Diego and have a car. Wondering if it is quicker to walk across the border rather than go on a coach or in a car?

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

From SD to TJ there's no problem if you go in a car, bus or walking. The waiting time is longer on the way back. Buses have a special line and the passengers go through relatively faster than the others in car or walking. You'll have to decide.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
2. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

It is difficult to predict the time required to get back into the U.S.--even by foot. When we have visitors we need to return to the U.S., we use the regular lanes and plan on an hour or so of conversation, sight-seeing, and eating. Churros (long, cinamon and sugar coated donut-like sticks), fresh fruit, and coffee are all sold as you are moving along through the line. The vendors are there hawking their wares, and when you are closer, you can watch agents and dogs working the lines. We usually take reading material as a back-up time filler and the passenger reads to the driver. As long as you relax and start with the assumption that you'll be in line for about an hour, it's not a bad way to people-watch.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
3. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

You've got mail--upper right hand corner of the screen.

out east
reviews: 2
4. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

Are you a citizen of the UK? If so, do you need a special visa to enter Mexico or to get back into the US after leaving. Just to be safe you should check it out.

Stillwater...
reviews: 7
5. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

I tried to use a transfer service that I found on trip advisor. Do NOT use Gringo Guide UNLESS you wish to get stranded in Tijuana! Alan, the owner, left the four of us stranded at TIJ airport Sunday, Dec. 5 @ 7:30pm with no phone calls or messages alerting me of a problem, and I had pre-paid in advance with Paypal as he insisted! He was late by 35 minutes picking us up in San Ysidro for the transfer to TIJ airport a week earlier, which could have, but didn't tip me off yet to his false service. Believe me, do NOT trust him or his service the way I did. I have still not received a phone call or message, apologizing or explaining what went wrong...even a lame excuse would be better than none. It was a scary, harrowing experience at night for my wife, her older sister, brother-in-law and myself. STAY CLEAR OF THIS GUY!!!

San Diego...
reviews: 16
6. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

If it's a rental car in San Diego, most of the major agency's don't allow you to take the car to Mexico.

I guess the big issue is comfort. If you've been walking around Tijuana for a couple of hours, spending an hour or 2 standing in line to cross the border can get weary. With cars, you will be more comfortable but you will have to deal with driving in Tijuana as well as parking issues. A bus, generally more comfortable than standing in line, but then again, body type will dictate bus comfort. If you are 6'4" and 300 pounds, any bus can be a pain.

San Diego
7. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

It realy depends on when you are going.

If you drive you will need Mexican insurance (about $20/day) and pay for parking ($1/hour) - never park an American car on the streets in Tijuana at night.

If you walk, you will need to pay for parking - $5-9/8 hours. and, if you wish, a Taxi each way ($5 each way).

Driving into Mexico on a Friday night can take upto 40 minutes, but most other time no more than 5.

Driving out of Mexico takes 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon to evening. One hour most other times during the weekend and at early evenings during the week. Late at night on weekdays (after 10) it can take as little as 30 min

Walking into Mexico never takes more than a min or two.

Waling out never takes more than 20 minutes unless it is around rush hour weeday mornings or around 4-7 on Sat. or all Sunday afternoon.

On Sunday afternoon it can take 1-2 hours.

Richmond, Virginia
reviews: 6
8. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

Park across from border gate for $8 and walk, much faster and easier

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
9. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

Since the San Ysidro crossing is under construction now, wait times have increased for cars--and we've been seeing really, really long lines for pedistrians. I have no idea why the pedistrian line has increased so much, but it has, at least at the times we've crossed.

North Las Vegas...
10. Re: is it quicker to walk across the border or go in coach/car

I am flying on Friday from Cabo to Tijuana. On the way to Cabo, we took the Volaris airlines shuttle out of the greyhound bus terminal in San Diego and it took about an hour long than a friend who took a taxi to the boarder, walked across and then took another cab to the airport. He didn't go that way on the way home. not sure whether to take the bus again from the airport and have it take us directly to the San Diego bus terminal or take a cab to the boarder and walk across then hop into another cab. We should get into Tijuana around 8:30pm so that plays a part as well. Suggestions?