We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
reviews: 2
UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

My friend will be visiting from England. He is a British United Kingdom Passport Holder and wants to travel to Tijuana for a day trip from the San Diego.

Will he need a visa to return to the USA, or will the original Visa Exemptions apply to UK passport Holders as per his entry into LAX?

I want to avoid any potential problems on crossing back into the US if possible.

Thanks!

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

As far as I know if he keeps the attached entry form it will be good to re-entry the US.

san diego
2. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Thanks so much for your help.

I am just trying to decipher information posted on the following sites:

http://london.usembassy.gov/vwp3.html

wordtravels.com/Travelguide/…Visa

Another question: It looks like he might need to get a "Tourist Card/FMT Form" on entry to Mexico. I believe US Citizens need one only if traveling beyond the variable "border zone".

Do you think I am interpreting this properly?

Thanks again!

:)

California
reviews: 4
3. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Hi;

Technically, the US. citizen and Westerners Do Not need the FM form

from the Mexican Immigations Offices when visiting the " Border zone"

less than 72hrs. The reality is very Rarely any visitor will be asked for

I,D. in T.J. and there are many U.S. citizens live in T.J. for years without

any permit

san diego
4. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Thanks T.N.

Here is the part from the link above that got me thinking, it looks like the requirements are not the same for US and UK citizens entering Mexico.

"Entry requirements for UK nationals: British passport holders must have a passport and carry a Tourist Card/FMT Form. A visa is not required for stays of up to 180 days if holding an endorsed British Citizen passport. If the passport is endorsed British National (Overseas) the visa exemption is for a maximum of 90 days. British passport holders travelling on business can stay visa-free for one month if in possession of a FMTTV form, which can be acquired on arrival. All other passport holders require a visa to travel to Mexico. Travellers must have a return or onward ticket (unless a British Citizen with a Tourist Card or visa), as well as necessary documents for further travel, and sufficient funds."

It does seem to me it would be extremely unlikely he would be stopped and cited for that. Just trying to balance the hassle of getting him the turista card and having a stress free visit (probably will stay a night or two).

T.N., I understand the office where one gets the Turista card is soon after crossing the border into Mexico by car, somewhere off to the right. But I don't know exactly where that office is. Are you familiar with that? Or, is it possible to get it ahead of time up here in San Diego?

Best regards,

A.

California
5. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Hi;

I Know for sure the Mexican Immigration Office is on the Right side as soon

You cross the border and You can easily spot the location .

You are better off and feel more comfortable to apply for a Tourist Card

with a U.K. Passports holders it will be quite simple .

My own personal Experience, I have been in T.J. just too many times in the last 30years and Never Been Asked the I.D. by the Mexican Authority .

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
6. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

I don't know this applies to citizens of the UK, but the rules for Baja California are not the same as the rules for the rest of Mexico. In Baja, U.S. citizens do not need a tourist visa if the stay is less than 72 hours.

Edited: 11:46 am, October 15, 2010
California
7. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Hi;

The UK. citizen May Not need a Tourist Card for visiting T.J.

AS the same rules apply for U.S. citizen. The border zone

Mexican Polices are very seldom to stop any visitor just for checking

the I.D . They are more likely Do raiding the bars and in that case

they may ask your I.D.

san diego
8. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Yes, that is exactly what I thought, it would be very unlikely, but just in case of an incidental stop by police for whatever, it could be an issue.

I don't know during what hours he would be able to obtain the Turista card. I have been told it involves doing the application, then crossing the street to a bank to make the payment, and then returning to the office with the receipt to have the actual card issued.

In which case, might it only be possible to do when the bank is open?

Therefore if we go on the weekend we might just rely on luck and being careful to not get stopped for anything such as traffic violations, etc.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
9. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

The important thing to have is MEXICAN 3rd party liability insurance--covers damage you do to others or their property; it does not cover the vehicle. The only insurance the police will ask for in the event of an accident is the Mexican 3rd party liability insurance; they will not accept American liability even if it is valid in Mexico and they do not care whether the vehicle is insured or not. They care hugely about the Mexican 3rd party liability though.

That's all you need to worry about. Just be certain you do not enter Mexico in a vehicle without obtaining the insurance. You can get it at the little shops on each side of the border or you can buy it on line. I used to get ours from www.mexpro.com (no connection to me, just an on-line company I used). There are lots of others.

san diego
10. Re: UK Passport Holder Wishes to Visit TJ Whilst In San Diego

Thanks PS, I have a full year policy and a Sentri pass for my vehicle.

Even so, these days I keep my driving to a minimum down there, ie. I go pretty much straight to my destination and don't meander too much. I suppose I am just more careful considering the situation down there.

Just never had to stop and think about taking a friend from another country. He says he has some kind of special feature attached to his passport that allows him quick passage into the US. I imagine it is like the new one that US Citizens can get to clear customs back into the US quickly. I think his has something to do with WHTI.

Anyway, in another note, I got my Mexican insurance policy from a company that gives a discount to Sentri pass holders. Not sure on if it is OK to post the name, but the company is Bajabound, it was easy to do it all online. Of course now I don't have the pleasure of stopping at a drive through kiosk like we used to do in the old days when I was a young fellow! :)

Thanks again everyone, we might not get down there till Monday and so hopefully my friend can be fully compliant by getting the FMT card during business hours.