We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
reviews: 86
Insurance Question

My Wife and I are scheduled to p/u a rental car in Tijuana in early April to drive to Loreto. Wanted to know what type of insurance I need to buy from the rental car company? Also, what type of insurance I may want to have as extra? We are scheduled to land in San Diego. Should I buy insurance before crossing the border and does most large rental companies allow this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Insurance Question

When I rent a car in Mexico I select the full coverage which gives me a peace of mind. I suggest that you get your coverage when you rent the car because some companies do not honor outside insurances.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
2. Re: Insurance Question

Part of the answer is determined by which company you rented from. Avis includes the 3rd party liability in the rate they quote you (other companies charge $7.00-$12.00 per day). 3rd party liability covers damage you do to others or their property; it does not cover the rental vehicle.

If you are in an accident, the only insurance the police will demand is MEXICAN 3rd party liability; they don't care if the vehicle itself is covered. You will care about that, and the rental company will care, but the police do not. I believe you must buy that insurance from the rental company (unless the company is Avis and it is included in the quote they gave you), not from a private insurance seller.

To insure the vehicle, you have two choices:

1. buy the vehicle insurance from the rental company

2. let the insurance that comes free with your credit card be the coverage on the vehicle.

Before deciding on #2, you need to call the customer service department for your credit card and verify that you have that insurance service included in your policy, and that it is included for rentals in Mexico. If it is included, it is free, and you do not need to buy the insurance from the rental company.

#1 means that you will pay a fee for each day you drive the car. (If you are also buying 3rd party liability from the rental company and it was not included in the quote, the cost of liability and vehicle insurance will be just about the amount you were quoted per day for the car--in other words, plan on paying twice as much as you were quoted.)

Some people feel much more comfortable getting the vehicle insurance from the rental company. Some are comfortable letting Visa or Mastercard provide the insurance. You are the only one who can make that decision.

Baton Rouge...
reviews: 86
3. Re: Insurance Question

Thank you very much Miguel-Mex and Pstreet1. Your information was most helpful.

4. Re: Insurance Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 05, 2010