We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Ysidro crossing by foot

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vista CA
reviews: 4
San Ysidro crossing by foot

I am trying to plan a flight to Mexico out of TJ... If I take the coaster to the trolley I will be at the border at approx 10:30 am- not sure if this is enough time to cross, and catch a taxi for a 12:30 flight. Any recommendations? I could have someone drive me, but I wanted to be independent.

San Diego
1. Re: San Ysidro crossing by foot

I am flying out of TJ (Volaris) in January and I'm not going to cut it that close. Volaris says arrive 2 hours early which is probably extreme but I'm not taking any chances.

It takes ~10 minutes to cross the ramp and get to the taxi stand. I travel light and I really wouldn't want to have to lug baggae over the ramp. If you do there is a chance they will stop you to inspect your bags which of course will delay you a bit. I don't know how long the ride to the airport is but it's fairly close. My guess is allow 30 minutes from the trolly stop to the airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 58
2. Re: San Ysidro crossing by foot

Arent there taxis as soon as you cross the border into Mexico? there is so much conflcting info out there... Someone on the Rosarito forum gave indepth directions to the cab stand but from the map of the border online it appears there is a taxi stand right there at the border?

San Diego
3. Re: San Ysidro crossing by foot

Yes, the taxi's are close but "crossing" the border is not like walking through a doorway. There is a loooong ramp up and over the highway, then you pass through two turnstyles about 100 yards apart and then walk another 100 yards or so to the taxis. Depending on the crowd it can take 15 minutes. The ramp is fairly narrow in spots and if you get behind people in no hurry it can be hard to pass them. After passing through the second turnstyle you will see taxi's dead ahead but you will also notice people (locals) turning to the right and exiting another way. This is actually faster if minutes count. There are usually a few cabs waiting at that exit and because of the way the streets are it's a few minutes faster to revolution or the Zona Norte ;)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 77
4. Re: San Ysidro crossing by foot

Allowing yourself 10-15 minutes to get across the ramp and walking into Tijuana and then another 12-15 minutes by taxi should put you at the airport at 11:00AM which should be more than enough time. If you want to play it a little safer, plan on being at the border an additional 15 minutes earlier, or 10:15.

sASKATCHEWAN
reviews: 12
5. Re: San Ysidro crossing by foot

I'd give it an hour more than what you are thinking- at least-- Traffic in TJ on the Via Rapida can be good-- but getting into town a wee bit more it can be horrific. There is lots of road construction going on and you can be delayed by an hour in traffic... don't cut it so close is my advice...

6. Re: San Ysidro crossing by foot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, April 17, 2010