We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cigars and Drinks

Which Tijuana hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Cigars and Drinks

Are the any decent cigar shops near the tourist areas that I might be able to get a real cuban? Also, i know it is probably a reach but, is there any dutyfree shops at the border? I usually stock up on a bottle or two for cheap when given the chance. If not is liquor cheaper in mexico? thanks

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
1. Re: Cigars and Drinks

High,

I've seen stores announcing they have cigars on Revolucion Ave. If you know what are you buying you'll be able to differenciate. I could be fooled if someone offers me a "pirate" one for a real Cohiba.

There are also many liquor stores on Revolucion Ave. where you can buy different brands at different prices. I have seen few stores displaying the "duty free" sign.

M

Cincinnati, Ohio
2. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Thank you very much.

Long Beach...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Highman! I go to TJ all of the time. At least 8-10 times a year and I'm actually going this weekend July 14. And every time I buy cigars down there so if anyone knows where to buy them, I would! I ALWAYS go to Rudy's La Villa Del Tabaco. It is at 868 Revolution (which is right in the middle of the tourist area). Tell the cab driver it is next to Dominos pizza on Revolution. It is a little more expensive here than at the liquor and drug stores but I can vouch for Rudy: he stakes his reputation on his cigars. You really, really have to watch buying them at the tourist shops or drug stores because there are millions of counterfeits rolling around.

As for duty free: As far as I know, Tijuana is a duty free zone. Any liquor store you go to will be duty free. Some liquor is quite a bit cheaper (like some tequilas) but some are not. You can see the prices when you are down there. If you are looking for cheap Patron, you won't find it because it is an American brand and not a Mexican brand name -- though because it is so American I think I have seen it in some of the clubs recently. The company that makes the tequila that becomes Patron just makes Tequila. Companies buy their Tequila and they can brand it however they want.

Let me know when you are going down there and I might see you there! I love the place!

Cincinnati, Ohio
4. Re: Cigars and Drinks

I will be down there on July 22nd. Thanks for the heads up on the cigar shop. Didnt know that about Petron. thanks. Looking for a bullfight but i dont think they have any that day. thats a shame.

Long Beach...
5. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Hey Highoman, I just got back from Tijuana and I thought I'd give you a head;s up. I looked around and there is actually a second cigar shop on Revolution that is a respectable place. It was also called something like the House of Tabacco and is up the steet from Rudy's. As usual I bought mine at Rudy's though. I bought 5 Partagas petite coronas for around $30. Smoked a couple down there and brought a couple back.

Also, I checked with the tourist information and they actually are having a bullfight on July 22. It is during the day but they couldn't give me a time. They said the website was I think tjbullfight.com. I believe it is only a few bucks to get in. On the site if they have prices they are in Pesos which is about 10.5 to 1 right now.

Have a great time down there!

Whittier, California
reviews: 11
6. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Besides tjbullfight.com you can also consul ticketmaster's page for events at the Plaza Monumental:

www.ticketmaster.com.mx/artist/1134386…

M

Cincinnati, Ohio
7. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Thank you Amadeus!! what luck, that there is a bullfight down there on the one day i will be making a trip down. Thank you sooo much for the advise on the cigar shops and the pm ya sent me!! I am looking forward to this more and more now. last 2 days were in san fran, im in napa now for the night. cambria tomorrow LA next night then Tijuana baby!! thanks again!!!

Long Beach...
8. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Glad I could help you out! I hope you had a great time there. Send me a message and let me know how it went!

socal
reviews: 1
9. Re: Cigars and Drinks

Is it difficult to get a box or two back over the border? Do you guys walk over or drive? I've been down there many times to surf for a few days and have never had any problems driving across. Thanks,e

Kylelandrath
10. Re: Cigars and Drinks

About what can you expect to pay for a box of real cubans.