We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on San Felipe

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Felipe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Henderson, NV and...
reviews: 25
Info on San Felipe

My husband and I are going to San Felipe, Feb 18-25. We are staying at the San Felipe Resort. It appears that the location is south of the town of San Felipe. Are there any good restaurants in this area or must we go to town and discover things for ourselves? I read some of the other forums which suggested Chuy's, Rositas and Baja Mar. I assume they are in town. Are there any Gigantes' or other supermarkets around or is it necessary to bring some food with you? I'm not sure of what can be brought across the border. I know fruits and vegetables are a no-no. I don't intend to cook other than something for breakfast and a light lunch. Any info on this will be helpful. We're driving in from Las Vegas. I assume it will take around 8 hours to get there???

san diego, ca
1. Re: Info on San Felipe

The resort rooms have kitchen facilities. You can take all the food you want into Mexico, very useful for breakfasts and evening snacks. Just don't bring meat and fruits back to the US. The hotel restaurant is mediocre and there is nothing until you get into town. You could walk along the beach to town center in about 45 minutes. Lunch on the patio of El Cortez on a calm day can be delightful.

Start with Bajamar in the very center of town on the Malecon. Splurge on elegant Italian at Red Lobster, have fish tacos or shrimp soup at Conchitas on the Malecon. Rositas is good, also the lighthouse on the hill. El Nido used to be the place for steaks and atmosphere. The atmosphere is still good.

There are no supermarkets like Gigante. Try Sembrador, about half a mile from Malecon on left hand side of the main road out of town, Chetumal. Buy very good shrimp at the harbor or on Malecon.

Las Vegas is 8 hours if you keep the stops to a minimum. This is the windy time of year in San Felipe so be prepared.

Henderson, NV and...
reviews: 25
2. Re: Info on San Felipe

skibber,

Thanks so much for all the information. I guess we'll be driving into town at night for dinner. I'm sure it's safe to park a car there for the evening. I didn't think we were that far from the town center. If it were closer we would walk (15-20min). Do you recommend any places to see while we are there? Do they have any boat trips which go to the nearby islands? I guess you must go there quite often. Which is the better crossing, east or west?