We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

Which Rosarito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

8 of my friends and I (half girls & guys) are driving to Rosarito for our spring break this year, the last week of March. We will be driving through the Tijuana border crossing and staying in the condos at the Rosarito Beach Hotel. We're all in college and know the usual rules, don't be alone, don't be involved with drugs, etc. But with all that's going on in Mexico, we aren't sure whether to be worried or not about the drive between the border and Rosarito as well as our safety in town and the surrounding areas (we want to go to Porto Nuevo, go wine tasting maybe, etc). We're all obviously tourists and will be driving new-ish cars with US plates. Can anyone offer us some real, non-biased info about our safety in the area? Assuming we are going to be smart and not causing any trouble, but definitely still going out to clubs and bars at night. Also, do people think spring break this year will be busy or dead in Rosarito? And any recommendations on what to do/where to go is much appreciated!!

Edited: 12:45 am, January 28, 2013
24 replies to this topic
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 47
1. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

You've got mail--top right hand side of this screen, under Your Trip Advisor, pull down menu.

Rosarito
reviews: 2
2. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

Safety is always a concern, wheather going to a shopping Mall or School and as such i will avoid driving at night in Mexican roads, otherwise is just as safe as driving in the USA. As far as how many people are going to be during springbreak , it is hard to tell. Since 9/11 spring breakers are more inclined to go places they don't have to drive.

Take care and when in Rosarito visit Tranquilo Restaurant & Sports Bar with the best firewood pizzas.

Temecula, California
3. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

All indications are that tourism is up in the area and that Rosarito is ready to greet spring breakers for a great vacation this year. we visit the area often and consider it to be very safe. especially if you practice the same situational awareness you would at home.

if you are interested in the wine country got to http://www.rosaritorentals.com and request thier free wine country guide. there is a suggested tour at the end that will make your visit magical!

have a great stay and enjoy all that Baja has to offer!!!!!!!!!!!!

San Diego...
reviews: 44
4. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

just follow the driving directions on the hotels website, quick turn as soon as you cross the border and your pretty much set, easy drive you wont have any problem. Be sure to get your auto insurance, you can do that all online. I used bajabound.com should be about 25 for the week. Definitely check out the restaurant Splash on the south side of puerto nuevo great fish tacos. Its on the restaurant tab for Rosarito on trip advisor. I just did the trip 3 weeks ago. Have fun!

Alhambra, California
5. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

I think some people here are overstating how safe Rosarito is as they are not connected to the local news. Two days ago, an American citizen was in a pet supply store in Rosarito and was kidnapped by armed men. He jumped out of a moving car and was rescued by the police who happened to see him jump out. This is not in the US newspapers, but it is in all the Baja California papers.

Three weeks ago, my friend who lives in Rosarito was walking his dogs on the beach and the dogs found a dismembered leg of a female. This was also in the local papers, not in the US papers. There is some kind of a serial killer on the loose and several young women have been recently murdered.

The police chief of Rosarito has failed the confidence test given to all police officers to see if they are reliable. He is still on the job. A committee of American ex-pats who live in Rosarito met with the mayor and the police chief just last week to make known their concerns about crime and public safety. Many Americans are leaving and moving back to the US. Rosarito is down to less than 1,500 American ex-pat residents.

edmonton
reviews: 43
6. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

one thing i remember about rosarito is that some of the stop signs just happened to be hidden by over grown tree limbs. then, the federales just happened to be stopping people a block away. we actually got pulled over once for going through a stop sign. while our driver went to the police station to challenge it, we walked back and surprise, surprise, there was no stop sign there. it was sort of funny...when challenged...they just pretended we were irritating and told us to get out...but we were frequent visitors to the area so not as nervous as some tourists. just be wise, careful, carry very little money (sometimes comes in handy to have a few dollars in one pocket and keep the rest in a different place). don't walk the beach at night. be polite...remember you are the guest in their country. a nice day trip is going down to la bufadora - try to hit it before "high tide" - stop in encenada.. peurto neuavo is always great for a night...dinner, drinks, walking around. always, always, always, make sure your driver is 100% sober. be smart and have fun. only other thing i always recommend...don't stop in tj...just drive right through and get on the toll road.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 47
7. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

That's not been my experience in 14 years--but your experience is your experience. We've NEVER been stopped by a cop for anything, nor has anyone we know, and we know a lot of people. We feel safe--and we do read the local papers.

San Diego...
8. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

Hey, i moved down here a few months ago bc i am a professional poker player and have to play outside the USA (its conveniently close to Cali) to play online poker.. lol long story, but i'm your standard all american white man in my mid 20's and haven't seen anything bad going on thus far. It feels very safe, its like any other city or state.. there's always going to be bad area's and i'd say Rosarito feels very safe. I live at http://lasolasresortspa.com/condos.html , they also have hotel rooms here. Message me on fb if you have any other questions

9. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

Hey I have lived here in tijuana since 07 and all I have to say is that there is nothing you should worry about as far as safety rosarito is a really quiet city tijuana may be a little rough but nothing to be afraid of just keep your guard up obey the rules and you should not have any problems in either city don't carry to much money around and if you do hide it really good and keep a few dollars in your wallet purse etc... But not to much well hope you have a good time and a great experience if you have any questions about anything feel free to fb me

10. Re: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito

Hey I have lived here in tijuana since 07 and all I have to say is that there is nothing you should worry about as far as safety rosarito is a really quiet city tijuana may be a little rough but nothing to be afraid of just keep your guard up obey the rules and you should not have any problems in either city don't carry to much money around and if you do hide it really good and keep a few dollars in your wallet purse etc... But not to much well hope you have a good time and a great experience if you have any questions about anything feel free to fb me

Reply to: Spring Break 2013 in Rosarito
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted