We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Rosarito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

My apology I've never been to Rosarito, how safe is it to go there now? I'm planning to spend the weekend there, thank you.

T.

102 replies to this topic
Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 48
1. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Rosarito is safe. If it weren't, we wouldn't be there--and we spend most of the year there. We do, however, have a home we love in the U.S., and if we didn't feel safe in Rosarito, we'd be in the U.S. We have many friends who, like us, spend most of the year in Rosarito; but they, too, could go to their homes in the U.S. We have many friends who live in Rosarito full time; if they didn't feel safe, they would be placing their homes on the market--and none of them are.

Rosarito (and even Tijuana) is safe provided you have nothing to do with drugs and aren't wandering around drunk in dark side streets at 3:00a.m.--much like the U.S. The same activities that are unsafe in the U.S. are unsafe in Tijuana and Rosarito.

I'm also sending you a private message--top right of the screen.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Thank you for the reply. So the "drug war" is not to be concerned about? I apologize for my ignorance.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
3. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Not as long as you exercise reasonable caution, as I said. Definitely avoid drugs; any association is not safe.

Newcastle...
reviews: 30
4. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

I traveled there alone in September and felt completely safe. Mostly ventured out during the daytime. One day, I saw a truck with police (I assume) wearing full combat gear and holding very large guns traveling down the street. I looked up from my tacos, smiled, and waved, and they waved back. It was more reassuring than scary. I found the people there to be very nice and friendly and didn't have a moment of fear. Very uncrowded - I guess due to the warnings. It's a good time for bargains, though. I'm going back soon and really looking forward to it!

Oakland, California
reviews: 4
5. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

I just got back from Rosarito and it was totally safe. I agree with the others that it gets less safe if you're invoved with drugs, but other than that, it's a great place to shop, eat, and beach...I've been going to Baja for years, and it was sad how few people were there and how many businesses had closed. The bargains were better and the service muy attentive, but I would have traded that for a little crowd. This cute little beach town and it's beach area needs visitors to thrive, and I strongly encourage folks to visit!

Dublin, Ireland
6. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Hi,

Myself and my girlfriend along with 8 other friends are planning on spending four or five days in rosarito after we visit vegas but after reading more into it im wondering is it still safe to visit??

We are all irish and are after a good time but their seems to be alot of warnings about drinking late etc..is their really that much a danger???

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
7. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

I've heard no reports of anyone having problems in the clubs--however, being drunk late at night makes you vulnerable. Drugs make you vulnerable. If you are in a group, that gives safety; being alone, late, on dark side streets is dangerous.

Rosarito used to have very lively clubs; now, because of the publicity, they are no longer lively. They are going to seem pretty tame after you've been in Las Vegas. Rosarito is a great place to come to enjoy the beach, enjoy the food, maybe drive down to wine country--but that may not be what you are looking for.

San Diego
8. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Fogarty245: You have a private message. Check your inbox!

Edited: 2:48 pm, January 27, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 2
9. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Hi guys,

Giving this a quick BUMP!

Me and a friend are thinking about travelling down from San Diego for 2 nights (tues, weds). We are both 22 and looking for a good time. For the record, we have no interest in drugs. We had orginally considered Tijuana but it is way too dangerous and many people have told me it is not a nice place. Rosarito seems to be getting good press!

At the moment my main concern is travelling across the border. I presume all I need is my Irish passport and my ESTA form? I don't want any incidents trying to get back into America!

Also, can someone recommend the best way to travel down, a reliable bus service would be ideal.

Many thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 32
10. Re: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?

Same here.

My girl friend and I will be in San Diego and I would like to travel down to Rosarito. My only concern is the Tijuana border. I hear about horror stories of how dangerous it is. I see people talking about Rosario being safe, but how is the journey across the Tijuana border in a tour bus? Is that safe? What are the risks? Also, any precautions I should take would be helpful.

Thanks to anyone who answers for your help.

Reply to: First timer in Rosarito, is it safe to go now?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted