We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Rental Car Terrible

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City
reviews: 3
Fox Rental Car Terrible

First and Last time with Fox

I’m not sure why I tried Fox Rent-a-Car but I only did once and I completely regret it.

I booked a Full Size with them in La Paz, in Baja Mexico for two weeks over Christmas.

When we arrived they gave us a VW Jetta and assured me that this is the same “category” as a “full size”. First of all the little chart on the counter even puts the Jetta in a different category. Secondly, the four of us plus our luggage didn’t really fit into the Jetta. Third, there was no offer of a discount, we were still expected to pay the “full size” price. They didn’t have any other cars on the lot to offer us. This was all problematic for us because we were going to be touring Baja and one of the first stops was a week in the desert where we needed to haul in all of our own food. This Jetta simply didn’t do what we needed it to do.

The attendant said we could call the next day and they’d swap a full size for the Jetta if they had one. I called the next day and he said he didn’t have one that day but in the morning he would. So one the third day we arranged to meet at one of their offices in La Paz to swap cars, but he didn’t show up. He had my cell phone but never bothered to call me. They said the car they were going to give me had just crashed into a cow and was totaled. This was all interesting but raised the question of why they were promising me a car that hadn’t yet been returned to them.

Their attitude was that I was just out of luck and that I had no other option than to keep paying them the full size price for a car that didn’t work for me.

I finally had to tell the guy at this other location that I wanted him to simply find me another car even if it’s with another company. He agreed to do this. He called Budget and said they’d get me a full size for the same price as what I was paying Fox. I said this was great. But it turns out that Budget and Fox seem to be the same company and if you call Budget in La Paz you go straight to Fox’s phone system. At the Budget office I was going to be paying 13,000 pesos or roughly a Thousand dollars for the 11 day car rental which was exactly what I’d been paying at Fox for the original 2 week car rental. The Fox rep felt I should also pay them for the Jetta for the 2 days that I’d been trying to return it to them.

I tried to make it clear that I expected them to honor the reservation of a full size car at the 13,000 pesos for 2 weeks rate. They acted outraged when I said I’d happily move the reservation over to Budget but I wasn’t going to pay what amounted to an extra 2 days car rental to them.

At one point, I said that the fact that one of their clients crashed into a cow wasn’t my problem, the Fox rep smiling and with no sense of irony said, “It is you problem now, because we don’t have any other cars.”

Eventually I went over to Alamo and got a full size car for less money. Unfortunately, due to my belief that Fox was a real car rental company and would live up to its obligations, I wasted …over the course of three days… almost an entire day of my vacation trying to get a car from them that would fit my needs. I should have just gone to Alamo or Hertz or another of the big companies that first night.

Go with somebody reputable. Not Fox.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: Fox Rental Car Terrible

A VW Jetta is a full size car in Mexico.

Mexico City
reviews: 3
2. Re: Fox Rental Car Terrible

It might be someplaces but it said quite clearly on the little plaque on the counter at Fox in La Paz that it wasn't.

3. Re: Fox Rental Car Terrible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 27, 2012