We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which La Paz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

My husband and I are flying into Cabo in late December and want to do a 4 day kayaking/snorkeling/camping adventure in Espiritu Santo (also open to other recommendations in the area). I've seen several different companies that do this. Does anyone have recommendations for a particular company? Also, what is the best way to get from the Cabos airport to La Paz?

Thanks!

Cabo Pulmo, Mexico
reviews: 3
1. Re: Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

Hi adcp,

Your Espiritu Santo camping trip is going to be a logistical challenge. I would pick your tour first and then backtrack your transport and hotels to accommodate your tour. Here are a couple of recommended companies to consider:

Mar Y Aventuras: http://www.kayakbaja.com/

Baja Outdoor Activities: http://www.kayactivities.com/here.htm

The BOA link gives bus instructions from SJD.

TA member letsgogogobaja recommends Safe Ride Baja for your transport needs:

http://saferideinbajasur.wetpaint.com

And, you can always rent a car. As always, driving after dark (6pm) is not recommended.

bb

2. Re: Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

Thank you so much!! I will look into these.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 14
3. Re: Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

BeachBusker had some good advice for how to get to Isla Espiritu Santo via a charter or tour company. My husband & I live on our sailboat so we snorkel where we anchor. I can at least give you ideas about "where" to snorkel, and opposed to "how" you might get there.

December is an excellent time to snorkel in the area around La Paz & the Islas Espiritu Santo & Partida - all w/i 25-30 mi. of La Paz. We anchored at 12 spots in this area & snorkeled them all. You'll need a 3mm wetsuit as the water is still about 68-70F that time of year. Early Dec. will have lighter winds - the northers start to blow about mid-Dec. but if you're in the right spot at the right time you won't even notice them.

You can snorkel anywhere there's a reef or rocky point & have a good time, but the best snorkel spots we found in 12/2008: Caleta Candelero & the reef at the mouth of Caleta Partida (Espiritu Santo); and El Embudo & Los Islotes off the NW tip of Isla Partida. Los Islotes has a sea lion colony & you can kayak there, tie off on a buoy, & swim w/ sea lions if you observe the park rules. It's awesome.

Espiritu Santo, Partida & Los Islotes require park permits. Your kayak charterer will likely set you up w/ them, if not you can buy day passes from the rangers who visit you. Ask the park rangers for their kayakers' guide to the camp spots on Espiritu Santo & Partida, & for their info on how to snorkel w/ sea lions - they have XLNT brochures. You can visit the Nat.Park office in La Paz - Google "club cruceros de la paz" & follow their links to the Park office - I updated their info for them. Cheers!

Seattle, WA
reviews: 14
4. Re: Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

One other thing: if you find that Islas Espiritu Santo & Partida are too far away for you, there is always the world-class snorkeling at Cabo Pulmo, 45 mi. up the road on the eastern shore of Baja from Cabo San Lucas. You'll still want a 3mm wetsuit, but the manta rays & smooth-tailed mobula rays come in bunches there. There are enough reefy outcrops, that you can snorkel in comfort no matter which way the waves are coming in...

5. Re: Espiritu Santo kayak/snorkelling recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 24, 2010