We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercado?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southern california
reviews: 3
Mercado?

Does Ensenada have a "mercado" like Puerto Vallarta, La Paz and other Mexican cities? I've been to Ensenada several times but have never seen one. I like to stroll thru them to see what they have.

Thanks for any info!

Janie

San Diego...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Mercado?

Los globos may be the type of mercado you are looking for.

southern california
reviews: 3
2. Re: Mercado?

Thanks for your reply! I'll google for location!

Have a great day~

Janie

Los Angeles...
reviews: 154
3. Re: Mercado?

There are two markets that are modern grocery stores "Super Mercado" and carry interesting every day objects that I take home as souvenirs on annual cruise ship stop at Port of Ensenada.

Check out Calimax a few blocks further away from tourist traps on main drag by heading to Ave. Gastelum 263. Has bakery, pharmacy, full fresh food, great canned/packaged cooking sauces, and real vanilla extract at 1/5 the price of the souvenir trap stands at port and along main tourist streets. Cooking tools, seasonal household supplies (this time Christmas ornaments and decorative items. Store is spotless and tidy with free parking out front. No beggars or chicklet kids in the parking lot to hassle you either.

The Soriana Super at Ave Gastelum 172 is older and not as much selection but also worth a quick look. They also BBQ meat out in parking lot on weekends.

Made a 15 minute sweep through each store and got two big bags of souvenir items for under US$25. Exchange rate in dollars is also displayed so you can pay in US $ at fair rates, and get change in US or MX money, just ask.

Liquor prices are also competitive - both post sale sheets at front entrance so if brand of tequila you like is not on sale at one store, walk one block to check the other store. Staff members speak English if asked, and are very helpful in both places.

In this area there are also fashion stores and shops that people who live in Ensenada patronize. Be mindful that sidewalks are not always in best shape/not redone by the tourism department yet.

4. Re: Mercado?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 30, 2014