We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Which Ensenada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 4
Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

I'm thinking about traveling down to Ensenada via ABC bus from the border to Ensenada to study at a Spanish school for a week in July. I'm concerned about my safety since there have been a lot of crimes more recently in the northern region of Baja and I'll be traveling alone as a single female. If I go, I will be in a homestay situation and the school contact says that I will be walking to and from Cearte (Cultural Arts center) to the homestay location. Does anyone have any advice on how safe this situation will be in Ensenada? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

San Diego
1. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Have you traveled alone to other cities that you have never been to? Have you traveled alone to other countries before? Can you call the school and tell them you will be coming alone and ask them if they can introduce you to some people who can be your friends while you are down there?

I don't have anything specifically different to say about traveling to Ensenada alone or any other place in the world. If you are outgoing, make friends easily, have traveled before alone and made friends traveling you should have a great time. If making friends is difficult, do they have a dorm room situation where it will be difficult not to make friends?

San Diego
2. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

I should point out that with the current political climate in the US, some people desire no people visit any place in Mexico. They may or may not post.

Edited: 1:18 pm, July 02, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 4
3. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I've gone to Guatemala (Antigua) before to study Spanish and do a homestay for a couple of weeks. It was a wonderful experience. I was just concerned with Ensenada due to the current political climate and I've heard that there have been a lot of crimes in the area.

San Diego
4. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

It does seem that I hear more about a crime that has happened in Mexico than I do a crime that happened within the US county I live in. There is a far comparison here http://bajasbacknow.com/Bajasnewsarticles.htm

Alhambra, California
5. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

You may want some more current information:

sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/…

San Diego
6. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Here is the list of all articles posted in the blog section by Fulano deTal on San Diego Reader - www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/fulano_de_tal/ about a crime a week.

Edited: 2:43 pm, July 03, 2013
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
reviews: 66
7. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

I am female and although I've never traveled alone, I would not hesitate to travel to Ensenada alone. But as I would do in my home town of Los Angeles, I would not walk alone at night and would keep my valuable close. I feel safer walking around Ensenada than I do many of the neighborhoods in LA.

Ensenada is beautiful and the we've made friends/locals over the years that are so warm and gracious.

Azusa
8. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Yes, it is safe for a single female to travel in Ensenada, most people in Ensenada love and treat well foreigners. Most everyone would like you to be their friend and will assist you in many ways.

I travel to Ensenada very often and have not had any problems, even my wife has been vacationing over there alone. As a matter of fact, I have owned a vacation home over there for six years and I have felt the safety that prevails in that town. I have also seen lots of tourist visiting all the time, and not only North Americans, but also Mexicans from other states and cities, who claim that they love Ensenada because of their beauty people and safety. The city is patrolled by the local police and the Mexican Army and no one messes around with the army in Mexico. Ensenada may be one of the safest cities in Baja for many reason. one of them is that the Ensenada Port receives varios Cruise Ships every week with hundreds of tourist from LA and other cities in Mexico. The authorities make sure that the town is "tourist safe" because their economy partially depends on foreigners visiting or living in Ensenada. There are hundreds of American and Canadian citizens who are retired and living "the good life" in Ensenada. I have talked to some of them because I will retire over there and I hear from them that they are living happy that they all feel safe .

Azusa
9. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Yes, it is safe for a single female to travel in Ensenada, most people in Ensenada love and treat well foreigners. Most everyone would like you to be their friend and will assist you in many ways.

I travel to Ensenada very often and have not had any problems, even my wife has been vacationing over there alone. As a matter of fact, I have owned a vacation home over there for six years and I have felt the safety that prevails in that town. I have also seen lots of tourist visiting all the time, and not only North Americans, but also Mexicans from other states and cities, who claim that they love Ensenada because of their beauty people and safety. The city is patrolled by the local police and the Mexican Army and no one messes around with the army in Mexico. Ensenada may be one of the safest cities in Baja for many reason. one of them is that the Ensenada Port receives varios Cruise Ships every week with hundreds of tourist from LA and other cities in Mexico. The authorities make sure that the town is "tourist safe" because their economy partially depends on foreigners visiting or living in Ensenada. There are hundreds of American and Canadian citizens who are retired and living "the good life" in Ensenada. I have talked to some of them because I will retire over there and I hear from them that they are living happy that they all feel safe

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
reviews: 66
10. Re: Is it safe for a single female to travel alone in Ensenada?

Rene, I hope to be one of those young retirees living the 'good-life' one day in Ensenada!